LW captain's collar tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW captain's collar tabs

I have a pair of unused, sewn together with a loop of thread, LW captain's collar tabs. Under a blacklight the loop of thread glows and ,on the reverse, where the silver bullion thread ends are exposed, the ends glow. In other words, the internal material of the bullion glows. Does this automatically mean the set in postwar ?
    Thanks-Garry

I suppose you will get a variety of answers on this but for me,,I would consider them post war construction,,Just my personal opinion

Comment

The inner cotton support cores within the metallic threads glowing under a black light is a common occurence. Things glowing under a black light does not automatically disqualify it as being legitmate. There are so many exceptions to the "black light rule" that I am on the cusp of throwing mine away.

Please post images of the tabs. I would like to see the construction and etc.

I have about 300+ tabs in my collection and many of them exhibit this trait and would be otherwise classified as "unquestionable".

Comment

LW captain's collar tabs

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
        The inner cotton support cores within the metallic threads glowing under a black light is a common occurence. Things glowing under a black light does not automatically disqualify it as being legitmate. There are so many exceptions to the "black light rule" that I am on the cusp of throwing mine away.

Please post images of the tabs. I would like to see the construction and etc.

I have about 300+ tabs in my collection and many of them exhibit this trait and would be otherwise classified as "unquestionable".
        Paul,
        Will do in the next few days.
        Thanks,
        Garry

Comment

Hello

The Military Advisor, volume #3, issue #4 :

"Without knowing what the materials are being viewed under UV light, or what dyes and pigments are present, it is not possible to say that something was manufactured before or after May 9, 1945 just because it is luminescent under the UV/black light. The black light is not going to reveal anything, other than the object in question glows."

by John Pittsenbargar

Comment

Originally posted by New kid View Post
            "The black light is not going to reveal anything, other than the object in question glows."

That's the truth ...

Comment

LW captain's collar tabs

I appreciate all the comments so far and will attempt to post some pictures real soon.
              Garry

Comment

To echo Paul's comment, I have also often seen the inner thread glow on original bullion items and this is not a red flag for me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                X