Dark collar dak tunic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark collar dak tunic?

Since the tunic has the traces of a cuff title being sewn on the interior of the sleeve and the tunic faded around the eagle but not so much the cuff title I will assume that the cuff title was removed and the wearer, now in another theatre removed it but continued to wear this tunic. It makes sense then that the sleeve would have eventually blended out where the cuff title was due to continued exposure and washing etc. A survivor who went on to fight elsewhere would have had to remove it correct? My question is two fold...one, Assuming it is DAK then would one restore it with tropical tress/insignia or continental? I have seen most of these in NCO and continental insignia, but haven't seen one with the afrikakorps cuff title ever, except for one currently on collectors guild which is the same cut I think. That one has continental insignia. Second, I have seen these with the tan backed parade blouse eagle in silver, having one of these already I think it would be an appropriate choice either way correct?

I'll put myself out there and say that this tunic has no connection with the DAK whatsoever.

I will however say that it is either a Southern Front or Summer tunic tailored from tropical material. There are a few indications which lead me to this thought, those being as follows:

1. The placement of the 5 button holes - original open collar tropical tunics have 5 buttons down the front with the highest of the 5 just above the line of the top pockets. This only has 4 below this line.

2. Tropical tunics have the wreath of the eagle placed on the flap of the breast pocket at the factory. This one doesn't show traces of this with the eagle being well above.

3. The central seam is shown to be trimmed, folded and sewn, original issue tunics were left raw as they were cut from the edging of the material.

I do believe that the tunic is good and utilising original tropical material, just not tailored from a issue tunic or for that matter DAK.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Hello

Agree with Marks good points, is Sud Front tunic not DAK, closed collar and eagle placement, tunic cut etc. Area where the tunic CT was removed does not display shadow (from photo) so added post war & removed later most likely. The other tunic mentioned should probably not have an AKCT either by the way as its Sud Front not DAK as well. However if restored with continental insignia it would look pretty good in my opinion.

regards
      Tim
      Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 01-22-2009, 03:12 AM.

Comment

I see your point

I respect your opinions, of course and know that there's no way this was a government issue tunic or modified from one. The only thing is that I don't think this has ever been in a collection. It smells like a barn, has rubbish in the pockets etc....it is nasty. I go back to one of my original questions though. Suppose he survived afrika and either went into captivity or on to another theatre, could he not have removed the cuff title and wore the eagle on? It makes sense to me that the sleeve would have then faded on out as it has, leaving no impression, save on the inside sleeve.

I'll also add that this style tunic had been worn in the pre war years throught WW2. It could easily have been worn in Afrika and would not have been unheard of. Look at page 36 of the Figueroa book, the photo cited with a date of 1942. Just playing devil's advocate.
        Last edited by PATMAN; 01-22-2009, 02:00 AM. Reason: added point.

Comment

Originally posted by PATMAN View Post
          It could easily have been worn in Afrika and would not have been unheard of at all.
          I do beg to differ but that's just my opinion.

Mark

Comment

With respect the photo you mention is displaying the six button version, however in the preceding page of JF's work, there is the same Officer wearing what appears to be a standard second pattern tropical tunic in Patras, so this Officer served in the Southern European theatre not Afrika. There are many examples of this style tropical tunic and the first pattern being worn in the Ukraine. The DAK wore the first pattern tropical tunic.
            As to the AKCT, the shadow from the national emblem is well pronounced (but in the wrong location for the DAK) whatever CT was applied was for a short time we agree here. Would enjoy seeing some photos of the DAK in this type of tunic...
            with regards
            Tim

Comment

Agree with orther guys NOT DAK TUNIC . Most probably used as summer jacket at eastern or southern fronts.

Comment

This is private tailored lightweight Feldbluse for an Officer or NCO. Theorically, as it has only five buttons, it should have been tailored before May 1941. There was no need here to apply the breast eagle in the tropical way, because the tunic has a closed collar, which may not partially hide the insignia.
                Last edited by JPhilip; 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Looks like tunics I have seen in the past made from Russian shelter half (or quarter, don't recall) material. I would buy it if I saw it!

Comment

Pat,

I have an almost identical tunic. IMO this is a light weight tunic made for hot weather, common to see the dark green collar added. Not sure what the base material is, not a Russian zelt, it does look more like the typical tropical material used for German tunics but that also was used for other uniforms and field made items throughout the War and outside of Africa. I would guess this was made in (as noted) Sudfront for use there. I would figure out if it had NCO or officer tabs and restore it with normal dark green insignia. Does it have holes for belt ramps?

Comment

thank you for the input

Originally posted by JPhilip View Post
                      This is private tailored lightweight Feldbluse for an Officer or NCO. Theorically, as it has only five buttons, it should have been tailored before May 1941. There was no need here to apply the breast eagle in the tropical way, because the tunic has a closed collar, which may not partially hide the insignia.

I appreciate the input as since this is not a factory tunic, not made in the traditional DAK style, It stands to reason it would follow the continental applications of insignia. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

thanks John

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                        Pat,

I have an almost identical tunic. IMO this is a light weight tunic made for hot weather, common to see the dark green collar added. Not sure what the base material is, not a Russian zelt, it does look more like the typical tropical material used for German tunics but that also was used for other uniforms and field made items throughout the War and outside of Africa. I would guess this was made in (as noted) Sudfront for use there. I would figure out if it had NCO or officer tabs and restore it with normal dark green insignia. Does it have holes for belt ramps?
                        Thanks John, no belt ramps. Incidentally I wish the lighting had caught the cuff title dark outline on the outside and the stitching outline on the inside of the sleeve so you guys could see it better.

Comment

Hi Patman, in regards to the cufftitle i think it could well of had one war time, being a service tunic the cufftitles would be the first peice of insignia to be damaged and possibly discarded and not replaced, which IMO makes sense that the cufftitle shows less than the breast eagle.
                          Greg

Comment

Maybe its a stripped Brandenburg tunic! Those guys operated on all fronts, also Süd front...
                            Any sign of a jager sleeve oval? (besides the cuff title traces)
                            or some collector put a DAK cuff title on it, later found out it was not a tropical piece
                            and decided to remove it...Who knows? Never the less a nice tunic!
                            Last edited by NickG; 01-28-2009, 01:22 AM.

Comment

brandenburg tunic? I wish!

I can't find the ghost of any other insignia except the traces of collar tress and tabs that I may or may not have mentioned....what other cuff titles might have been worn say, earlier in the war or in the 30's even? If it isn't afrikakorps then could it be something else? By the way all, it's only the cuff title trace that makes me think it's afrikakorps but primarily because i don't know what else would have been on that sleeve..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X