Unknown Luftwaffe item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Luftwaffe item

What is this thing? Never saw any kind of this. Looks like the flight reporting cloth badge in metal ...

Have a nice evening,
    Steve

I don't believe this is LW, but rather KM. It is a "career" badge called a "flugmelde" for aircraft spotters. When used on a circular patch, this is the pattern normally observed. I couldn't find quickly a photo of the circular version, but here's the oval version, which incorporates the anchor motif background. I believe the one you have is part of a blue background oval patch which would have used a combination of embroidery and metal to create the entire insignia.
    Attached Files

Comment

Leroy, the Luftwaffe had the same badge for Flugmeldepersonal, of course without an anchor ...

So that's why I think it must be Luft, makes no sense to put it on a fabric patch with an anchor.

Comment

Certainly, you are right that the LW did have these, and I've got several of them in my collection. The metal construction, however, is what makes me think it is "part" of a KM patch, as I've never seen the LW in metal, and the KM did use combinations of embroidery and metal on some of theirs. What size is it?

We'll get to the bottom of this!

Comment

Don't know the size. Saw it on ebay, didn't bought it.

Comment

It is a KM shoulder board device for a Senior NCO in the "Aircraft Warning" laufbahn.

Comment

This is why I asked about the size. This, I believe, is the shoulder board device.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, you are right, the anchor is missing, I was looking at a book that only shows the branch insignia. Maybe it is a private purchase device for a lower ranks trade patch?

Comment

Perhaps its Luftwaffe Helferin related? Air craft warning Tie pin / Hat pin?
                  Based on the fact that an anchor is lacking its definately not KM.

Comment

This is interesting. I realize you didn't buy it, but did the seller give any idea
                    of the size?

Comment

@ Nick:
                      Don't think so, I am interested in the whole Lufthelferin stuff and never encountered this. But of course I don't know everything.

@ Leroy:
                      Unfortunately not.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X