Cavalry Tunic, Cap, and Trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will check an older Rangliste

I'm thinking, with that long ribbon bar, he might have been in the Reichswehr before 1934
    With the odd name-ending ky it shoudn't be hard to find him

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
      I will check an older Rangliste

I'm thinking, with that long ribbon bar, he might have been in the Reichswehr before 1934
      With the odd name-ending ky it shoudn't be hard to find him
      I looked at Kav section in the 1924 list no luck, he may have been z.V. pulled to z.D. in 39' and not listed

Comment

Thanks for the help. Here's a few more views of the tag - I hope they help in terms of deciphering the name.
        Attached Files

Comment

another view, less light -
          Attached Files

Comment

Horrible - don't think this helped much!
            Attached Files

Comment

The closest match I find is von Jarotzky he was an Oberleutnant in 1928 Reiter-Regiment 18, 2. Schwadron.

Where was he in 1939?

Comment

It would fit with the rather long ribbon bar but no EKI

von Jarotzky only had the EKII (1914)

Comment

1939 the only match was a Hauptmann at the Nachrichten School, in 42 with a Panzer Signals unit, not our boy. It could be him. He may have been reserve and brought in for the mobilization, the highest Landwehr rank was Major. Robert, laying the tag flat on a scanner if you can do it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                    Robert, laying the tag flat on a scanner if you can do it might help.
                    Agree

Comment

Just my luck, I don't have a scanner. Doesn't look like there's enough room for a Von in there, but Vons certainly belonged in the cavalry. The letters look like they'd support Jarotzky - but it's pretty hard to tell.

Comment

Robert,

von is often abbreviated with a v.

Comment

Robert,

I take it, it is a 1914 EK II ribbon that was in the pocket?

It is a very grubby jacket and well worn, however Kavallerie Regiment 17 was disbanded after mobilisation in August 1939 and was used to form other units, so if he was an Oberstleutnant in 1939 he would no longer wear this jacket and perhaps it was hung up at home since then!?!?!?!

If he was a Bataillon Kommandeur pre-war he might have held too high a rank to go as an Abteiung Kommandeur after mobilisation. So he either took a Regiment of his own or was at least posted to the staff or a Regiment and/or Division!?!?

Kavallerie-Regiment 17

Formed 1.1.1921 as 17 Bayerisch Reiter-Regiment; 6.10.1936 renamed Kavallerie-Regiment 17, peacetime garrison Bamberg, Wehrkreis XIII.
                          Disbanded with mobilisation and formed:

Aufklärungs- Abteilung 10 Wehrkreis XIII with a Reiter-Schwadron
                          Aufklärungs-Abteilung 7 Wehrkreis VII
                          Aufklärungs-Abteilung 27 Wehrkreis VII
                          Aufklärungs-Abteilung 54 Wehrkreis VII

I do have a list of officers with Kavallerie Regiment 17 from June 1939, however currently I am not at home to peruse it!

Interestingly from a Flea Market years ago I did pick up a Truppenausweis to a vet with Kav.Rgt. 17, of course no idea where he went after the unit was disbanded, however with my interest in 1 Kav.Bde./Div., it turned out he was transferred there in 1939 as the vet on the Brigade Staff!!!!!

/Ian
                          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Doesn't help but might give some other ideas on the name!!?!?!?!
                            Attached Files
                            Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Lets see the ribbon!

Comment

That does help Robert, IMO I can see the arch of the "J" as the first letter below the printed "rkt" and the lower arch to the right of "dat" I think he was put on active status for the early part of the War, many older officers were assigned to units for short periods of time and then put back on the shelf. Maybe Ian's list from June of 1939 will have him on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X