Feldgendarmerie Insignia Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feldgendarmerie Insignia Question

Could someone advise how to determine if the placement of the Feldgendarmerie cufftitle is correct, and also how the placement of the Feldgendarmerie sleeve eagle was determined? Would it have been more common for these insiginas to have been machine or hand sewn?
    Thanks!
    John

Hello John,

I have a luftwaffe fliegerblouse with the Feldgendarmerie cuff title machine sewn to the cuff. The bottom of the band is about 12 centimeters from the bottom of the sleeve.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob, I'd like to see a photo of the flieger if you have the chance to take and post one. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Bob,
        The information is most appreciated. Couldn't find it in any of the references I have.
        John

Comment

John:
          Something around 15 cm is about right for most uniforms of the Heer, but it depended on the type uniform. On Heer parade tunics, the measurements were about 7-8 cm off the cuff edge. On officer tunics with French cuffs, which varried in depth, the general rule was about 1 cm above. I thinkthe same is generally correct for Luftwaffe. I'd think Kriegsmarine would be effected by sleeve adornment.

In my opinion and based on experience, I am convinced that there is no standard to be stated bewteen hand and machine sewn insignia. Both were done and depended on any umber of factors...where done, who was having it done, kind of uniform, particular piece of insignia, etc. I have seen the ends of cufftitles sewn in to the sleeve seam.

In many cases,whether done during or after the war using period thread - and sewn correctly to standard, it is impossible to tell.

Scott
          CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott,
            Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Heer Feldgendarmerie EM combat tunics. From looking at some period photos they all seemed to be close which is why I was wondering if there was some set rules as to placement.
            I also felt that some of these would have been hand sewn if this appointment had been made in the field although most of what I have seen so far have been machine applied.
            Your input is most appreciated.
            John

Comment

Generally, anything done in the foeld would most likely have been done by unit tailors. They had sewing machines, but their skills certainly included hand sewing. Either may be used on any given day, depending on work load, variety of tasks, time available and the inclination of the tailor(s). While these unit tailors were available to officers as well, officers may have a "batman" or assistant who would have a certain level of sewing skill, but generaly no access to a sewing machine. This orderly would have been responsible to maintain an offiver's uniforms. If in garrison, he could do it himself or take thinks to a business tailor. If in the foeld, he would use his own skills or rely on a unit tailor. Hence, hard to say any fast rule of thumb. One must look at al the details of attachment - placement, technique of attachment, thread used, etc.
              Glad to help. I am not the final word on this by any degree..but this is what I believe/have evidence to support.
              Scott
              CSP

sigpic

Comment

FG insignia

Hi John .
                The official placement for the FG cuff title for EM/NCO was 14.5cm from the bottom edge of the cuff . The sleeve eagle placement depended on the tunic sleeve length but the top of the badge should correspond to the lower corner of the top pocket and be plced centrally on the sleeve . Since insignia was provided at a local level and not factory applied , hand stitching would be very common for smaller pieces . Hand stitching of cuff titles did exist but since it is very time consuming - most were machine stitched by company or civillian tailors depending on the posting . Also , the application of sleeve eagles AND cufftitles together was not always observed , even early on, i.e. 1939/40 and this may have simply been the result of supply issues at local levels .
                I hope this is helpful - jan.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X