LW pilot's jacket for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zipper detail

and don't think that these have to be German made (ZIPP, RiRi) zippers otherwise they're no good... Again French jackets were OFTEN used, especially during the Battle of Britain period.
    Here's the "ECLAIR" zipper as found on my example (mannequin) and the other brown jacket example posted after the mannequin pilot image.
    Attached Files

Comment

In black

These also came in black, here another French made example, again with ECLAIR French zippers and again with a BUCKLE at the bottom. This style I trust the most! Preferably in brown, but black was certainly worn. Again these are privately procured jackets (not military contract) so you have to be open minded about these, BUT that means that there is a lot of room for error. The bottom line is that these are civilian jackets, not RBNr coded government contract pieces that followed a strict pattern... That's what makes these pieces so tricky!
      MY final advise, if cheap enough take the risk or use as a filler item! Otherwise stick with official LW contract jackets! (but I do like these a lot, even Eastman Leather in the UK (famous for their quality A2 flight jackets) is reproducing this style! NickG
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 07-11-2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hs132 View Post
        Hello Nick, thanks for the explanation. I wasnt quite sure what you meant and thought I was missing something. While on occasion there can be signs of in-cockpit wear ie. swimveste wear on the back, stick wear on the sleeve I dont believe all jackets as such were actually worn while flying. I think many were worn while on duty, off duty just for appearances. Not to veer to far off topic, here is a pic showing three pilots wearing their private purchase jackets while resting up against their issued flight jackets. I have a hard time thinking they would wear both while flying. Maybe they did and that would also account for less wear. You have a desirable setup. Best, Bill
        Thanks for the compliments on my Pilot mannequin Bill! I agree that cockpit wear in certain areas helps authenticate a jacket for sure! These remain tricky but that is certainly a good point to check!
        That's interesting this period image showing all pilots with a 2nd jacket "on standby"!! One wonders!
        Nick
        Last edited by NickG; 07-11-2008, 01:37 AM.

Comment

I agree with all. I have the most faith in jackets with long, pointed collar tips and ones with no middle seam on the back. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by hs132 View Post
            I agree with all. I have the most faith in jackets with long, pointed collar tips and ones with no middle seam on the back. Bill
            I agree Bill
            Pointed collars are definitely a good sign!!!!
            Also avoid jackets with a split back or "T" cut back, like you wrote!
            Attached Files

Comment

Greetings, here is a followup 2nd photo of the relaxing pilots each with two jackets. Bill
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                Also avoid jackets with a split back or "T" cut back...
                Why are these characteristics illustrative of something bad?

Thanks and regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  Why are these characteristics illustrative of something bad?

Thanks and regards,
                  Hi Sly
                  Thanks for asking. A 2 panel or "split T" 3 panel back is not automaticaly a red flag but it does make the garment a lot cheaper to produce and these were private purchase jackets... Modern jackets usually have such multi panel constructions so al I'm saying is that a safer bet would always be a coat with a 1 piece back! This because these are so hard to date! That's all!

Of course during the war the British switched to multi panel construction on their Irvine's to keep the cost down and lessen the waste but those were G'ment issue leather jackets... unlike these (often French made) privately procured pieces.

Here's a nice color image of Priller!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NickG; 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Again nothing is set in stone on these, no official pattern...all privately procured in various styles depending on taste and wallet size....
                    Pilots fell in love with these while on duty in occupied France along the Channel zone.
                    They are essentially French motorcycle jackets, as worn here by this French resistance fighter.

Here a so-called authentic reproduction... (with one piece back)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X