interesting M36 tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting M36 tunic

This image came from more great (liebermuster!!!) uniform pictures from fellow member Petr!!
    For those who might not visit the photo section too often here's the link;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=285238&page=2

I like this one! Surrendering troops in 1945. Note M36 tunic with late war triangular breast eagle! Most collectors would balk at this combination, if offered in modern times, but as this image shows you must keep an open mind with this hobby!!!!
    Thanks for sharing Petr!!!!
    Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 06-19-2008, 06:14 PM.

Nice photo,most probably a later manufactured M36 (40-41) with mouse grey collar tabs.And easier for the factory worker to apply the eagle this way (trapazoid)

Looks to be this type eagle applied to the jacket. You will also find earlier eagles (M36 type and earlier),factory applied to very late war jackets.

Glenn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glenn McInnes; 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM.
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Earlier Panzer eagle factory applied to a 44 dated wrapper.

Glenn
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, also eagles were applied like when reconditioned and sewn through (oh my Goodness! ) tunic linings. Nice photo, they look relieved. The last two have no insignia and the first man is wearing shoes and plump, these might be HJ and him a recalled wounded etc. toward the end everybody was activated. They do not look like frontline troops.

Comment

Glenn,

Congrats on your new wrap, I recognize the eagle. I enjoyed looking it over throughly, very minty.

Richard P

Comment

Thank you Richard,it is a nice untouched piece.

I have another (F-44) with the same type eagle,but not sewn in a trapazoid (and with Russia braid type tabs)

Glenn

Comment

Good point, I immediately thought of it being a late war triangular eagle (depicted below, image borrowed from Italianwarfront)) but of course it could very well be a short cut in stitching (triangular shape) of a conventional (earlier) eagle as illustrated with your examples. Even that style is unusual on an M36 pattern uniform!
              Thanks for your input!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 06-20-2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

They are wearing a hodgepodge of mixed clothing, the tunic may have been refurbished and issued with a late war eagle, note the last tunic looks like an unissued M43 with no insignia and the second tunic has pleated upper pockets with unpleated lower pockets again with no insignia. These guys were probably reserves or Volksturm called up in the end and recieved whatever was handy. I do not believe these men are regular WH soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                  They are wearing a hodgepodge of mixed clothing, the tunic may have been refurbished and issued with a late war eagle, note the last tunic looks like an unissued M43 with no insignia and the second tunic has pleated upper pockets with unpleated lower pockets again with no insignia. These guys were probably reserves or Volksturm called up in the end and recieved whatever was handy. I do not believe these men are regular WH soldiers.
                  I noticed that too, pleated breast + unpleated skirt pockets... actually worn by both other guys...
                  so "blank" Polizei uniforms perhaps?

Comment

Very interesting picture, a lot of things happend with the insignia but when there are doubts the best thing is to have it in hand. I have an M36 with replaced pockets so the eagle was moved higher and was stiched zig zag , I'm the first collector to have it.
                    http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Beautifull pic. It clearly shows that indeed Nick we must have an open mind. I truely believe that during the war many soldiers changed their eagle on their tunic and many times did they do it in the field, lets not forget that.

Comment

Just curious about the strap used on the breadbag by the man in front. Looks too narrow and too long to be a breadbag strap. Could he have used the strap from a gasmask canister?

Comment

It does look like you can see the rivets on the strap. They typically were allowed to keep the gasmask (until leaving the frontline area), mess tin, and canteen, he probably has hooked all his gear on the gas mask strap or used a gas strap as a replacement for the bread bag strap.

Comment

A very exciting group of photographs, worthy of being included in a textbook.

FRank

Comment

I just noticed that there may not be pocket pleats on the hip bags of the M36, there is a line there but I am not sure that it is not just shaded a bit. If this is correct probably a recycled and refurbished tunic.

IMO an enigmatic picture does not change the "rules". I keep an open mind but am also aware of what is "normal" and typical. When photos like this surface some collectors often act like there has been a dramatic paradigm shift. To me it is interesting, nothing more, it does not prove all other atypical uniforms are "real". There are exceptions to normal application. . . but each piece needs to be examined individualy. One photo of an exceptional application of insignia does not authenticate all all the unusual examples in a collection. IMO Something to keep in mind.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X