Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M43 tunic on Estand...

Hello everybody,

I 'm very interested tu buy this WH tunic BUT, I need your opinion about it...

If M43, why 42 dated ???

Why replaced breast pockets ??

THANKS A LOT !!

Link :
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=294221&page=2

Hi Blassic, terms like M42 and M43 are collector nomenclatures and do not specifically correspond with actual production chronology. There are known examples of "M43s" being '42 dated; as well as '39 dated "M40s" ect. The tunic in question looks ok to me.

Mark

Originally posted by BLASSIC View Post
    Hello everybody,

I 'm very interested tu buy this WH tunic BUT, I need your opinion about it...

If M43, why 42 dated ???

Why replaced breast pockets ??

THANKS A LOT !!

Link :
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=294221&page=2

Comment

Hi Blassic,
      German combat tunics with replaced pockets are not uncommon.
      I have several examples. It was done in the field or prior to the jacket being re-issued.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 240stevek View Post
        German combat tunics with replaced pockets are not uncommon.
        I have several examples. It was done in the field or prior to the jacket being re-issued.

Steve

Why to replace pockets ??? What to do ??

I have no idea....

Comment

Perhaps they had to be repaired?

Comment

Pockets wear out with use.

Comment

???

Explain me, I don't understand ....

Comment

Are you OK with the date markings '42' ??

Comment

Hi Blassic,

As said by Wurfmine the stamps do not always correspond with the type of jacket this is not un common.

As for the pockets if a jacket is used in the field the pockets get damaged by use and then they got replaced by the tailor in the field. I have had jackets with replaced pockets.. no issues there.

Thanks
                  Eric

Comment

replaced pockets

pocket replacements are common here is a tunic with all 4 pockets replaced period done.
                    cheers Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

I don't believe that this tunic was made in 1942. I can not see the stampings well at all, but I don't think that the "42" looking stamp is for the depot date.......everything about this tunic says late 1943 or even more likely late 1944.

I also don't think that the pockets have been replaced. I believe they are as the tunic was originally made. They were very carefull to match these things during the earlier times but by late war in some cases items like pockets, pocket flaps and collars that were cut from different bolts of slightly mis-matched material were mated with tunics. Somtimes all of these things mis-matched and smetimes only a single pocket flap would be a little off. I've seen several M-44 tunics with completly mis-matched front and back sections for example. One even had felgrau in the front and police green wool for the back panel!

Comment

the wool looks like the late war time wool. if the blouse was produced in 1942, then in the end of this year.

as said, the re placed pockets are not un common but also can be re palced after war...

ist`s very difficult to say when they were re placed...

Comment

Last edited by H-U Rudel; 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM. Reason: double post...

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                            I don't believe that this tunic was made in 1942. I can not see the stampings well at all, but I don't think that the "42" looking stamp is for the depot date.......everything about this tunic says late 1943 or even more likely late 1944.

I also don't think that the pockets have been replaced. I believe they are as the tunic was originally made. They were very carefull to match these things during the earlier times but by late war in some cases items like pockets, pocket flaps and collars that were cut from different bolts of slightly mis-matched material were mated with tunics. Somtimes all of these things mis-matched and smetimes only a single pocket flap would be a little off. I've seen several M-44 tunics with completly mis-matched front and back sections for example. One even had felgrau in the front and police green wool for the back panel!
                            In the interest of how to approach analysis on something like this, I think that one has to consider the following points:

1. Why would the pockets be "damaged" on a piece that show almost no nap wear or hard use?
                            2. What are the chances that ALL of the pockets would have damaged and nothing else...including the area behind the pocket on the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!??

3. If only one pocket was damaged (I guess possible) why would they have replaced ALL of them???

You see it makes no sensse. They may have been removed post-war and then "restored" and I would look for signs of this. Trust me, if this was done it would be detectable...I promise.

I think that the pockets are most likely original and as I stated this was no un-common on late war items...which this tunic seems to be.

One only need to compare the thread that is used to sew the pockets on and look for other sewing holes inside the tunic to tell for sure. Also look at the pocket button thread and the tunic fly button thread....are they the same? There are a dozen or more cross checks on things like this that one needs to learn in order to start understanding items like this.

Comment

I agree with you Phil,in fact I have seen a few jackets with mis -matched wool.

One example in particular was a W-SS assault gun jacket in which one of the sleeves was a different color wool and factory applied,not replaced.

Here is a M43 hat in which the front/side/back portion of the hat is a different color of wool than the rest (crown,flaps,visor).

Glenn
                              Attached Files
                              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X