Grade 9 marksmanship lanyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grade 9 marksmanship lanyard

Picked up a grade 9 marksmanship lanyard that I'm not sure is good. Construction is correct, etc. but the shield isn't made of leichtmetall. It's heavier. Does have the hollow back though. The details seem to match the grade 8 that I have that I know is good. Anyway, below is a side-by-side photo. A while back on another thread we discussed lanyards and the consensus was that they weren't being faked. I've check all the repro sources I know of and no one was offering fake marksmanship lanyards or the shields. But still...... Your comments would be appreciated.

Can't tell, Too big! My eyes! My eyes!!!!

Comment

What - no replies! (Well, except for Rick, who I have apparently traumatized, if not blinded.)

I've come to the conclusion that the lanyard is a fake. The shield isn't leichtmetall and I can't find any reference to their having ever been made from anything else. From the front it is a dead ringer for an Assmann shield, but the back gives it away as a casting.

The lanyard itself is probably either East (my guess) or West German, as the aluminum braiding is 'whiter' than all of the other known original 3rd Reich lanyards I have. It's my understanding from an earlier post on this forum that that is an indication of a 'cold war' period lanyard. Given those two factors, the lanyard will be on its way back across the pond on the morrow.

I guess we can add marksmanship lanyards to the long list of fakes. Would have liked to have taken photos of the back of the shield, but I suspect that returning it in pieces would not bode well for a full and timely refund.

Comment

Dave:
        What's not to like? Shield looks fiine to me and I agree that these are not something widely faked. Possible to piece lesser grades together in to higher grades, but still would be all original. Any chance to see the back and other end.
        Scott
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott,

Can't take any more pictures as it went into the mail today. What I didn't like about it was what it's made of. Instead of the lichtmetall one would expect it was made from a much heavier metal, obviously cast. The reverse wasn't consistent with the known good example that I have. Since the fronts were identical, the backs should have been too. However, there were areas along the edge (on the back) where the metal was much thicker than it should be, and where on the original the reverse showed detailed sword hilts the questioned one didn't. It's my understanding that original shields were made of stamped leichtmetall. Since this one is made from a cast heavier metal I have trouble accepting it as good. I suppose it's possible that an optional higher quality model was produced, but I've never found any reference to that having happened.

The aluminum braid that it was made of also was too 'white', if you follow what I mean. I compared it to all the lanyards that I have (5 or 6) and in every case the others were a darker grey. The picture pretty accurately shows the difference. It did have the cloth backing, but it was very loosley sewn on with widely spaced long stitches, rather than the nice tight professional stitches usually encountered.

It may well be that I just sent back a perfectly original lanyard, but in the end I'd never be comfortable with it. I'd rather work on talking you out of one of yours (HINT, HINT) than have something questionable. While we all do agree that this isn't something that is widley faked, no one is saying that it has never been faked at all. When you consider that $30 black wound badges are faked, why not grade 9-12 marksmanship lanyards? Given what they go for, it might be more profitable than some of the other items. And they are now selling fake dress and adjutant aigulettes.

Bottom line - I was working too hard to convince myself that it was good when that little voice back there kept nagging at me.

Comment

Little of that came out in the lone picture. But I will always agree with your statement about working too hard to conviince oneself. Lanyards are not hard to come by as you know.
            I 'd like to see some East/West German post war lanyards to compare some day.
            Scott
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X