Administrative Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administrative Officer

I have an oil painting of an Administrative Officer(Beamte). The secondary color is golden-yellow. After researching, it states "Remounting Administration". The collar patch is for a high grade; and shoulder boards are equal to a major. What is "Remounting Administration"? What did they do?
    Dan 46

I believe they worked with both cavalry and draft horses.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don!!

Comment

pic 1
        Attached Files

Comment

That is a great painting. Interesting how the artist screwed up on the shoulder boards.

Comment

I'll leave all technical points to Paul - he knows his stuff, but I'll just say that the flesh tones and technique of the painting itself is excellent, with the focus on the face especially attractive. A wonderful item to be taking care of.
            Mark.

Comment

If the artist was painting from life or from a phto of the wearer, it is possible the tabs were sewn wrong on the tunic to begin with, which makes the portrait all the more interesting!

Don

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments.I'm having a frame made for it at Hobby Lobby.
                Dan46

Comment

Hi Dan

Lovely painting

He can't be a Remount official as they only had Elevated and Medium careers

There was also the Spanische Hofreitschule Wien of the Lipizaner fame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Riding_School

There is speculation that they had a High career. The shoulder boards should have a 3mm goldgelb stripe between the silver cords. They also had a device that consisted of an intertwined "SHR".

The boards in the painting appear to be missing both the yellow or the regular "HV" green stripe.
                  Last edited by Laurence Strong; 04-25-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                    I'll leave all technical points to Paul - he knows his stuff, but I'll just say that the flesh tones and technique of the painting itself is excellent, with the focus on the face especially attractive. A wonderful item to be taking care of.
                    Mark.
                    Thanks for the kind words, however, when it comes to HEER officials, I would give that honor to Larry Strong!

The artist also flipped the green and yellow on the boards. The Admin green should be on the bottom layer.

Comment

Good eye, I missed that

Personally I hope someone who knows more than the rest of us comes along and sets us straight

Comment

Very nice painting. Shows the colours wonderfully.

Comment

Very nice painting, I have noted many of these seem to have been painted from BW photos. I think sometimes this can cause errors on insignia etc. this might explain it. Hard to know without doing research on the man himself.

Comment

His name is on the back of the painting-Richard Geiler-Landau.Does this help.Thanks for everyones input.Maybe ;we can find out if he was at the riding school.
                            Dan46

Comment

Landau is a city in the Rheinland where he probably was from/stationed in.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X