Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do all the fakes go?

Hello all

As a reenactor I have to ask this as i see lots off super sophisticated repros(fakes) that are discovered to be false, and called garbage. where do all these items go ? i see tons of feldbluse, hosen and Personal items that are MILES ahead of what other repros are. What happens to all this stuff? if anyone wants to unload some of this stuff on a reenactor please let me know.

Marc

Most of the dealers will if it is pointed out to them that an item is fake, withdraw it from the market and destroy it. They will then refund you all cost that you might have incurred, including buying the fake.Jacques

Comment

Destiny of Fakes...

In my opinion, most get sold again on the sly, under the table, is less public places. Or they are sold as fakes/reproductions only to be purchased by less than honest individuals, and then taken to or posted to new venues and sold as original again... sorry, to sound negative, but that's the way I see it.

Too often I see high end fakes sold for a high price considering it's non-originality. However, this "high price" may still be a price much less than a good original. If a crook can pay $2000 for a high end SS fake item and sell it for 2X-10X that... think about it.

Most of this stuff still with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad View Post
        In my opinion, most get sold again on the sly, under the table, is less public places. Or they are sold as fakes/reproductions only to be purchased by less than honest individuals, and then taken to or posted to new venues and sold as original again... sorry, to sound negative, but that's the way I see it.

Too often I see high end fakes sold for a high price considering it's non-originality. However, this "high price" may still be a price much less than a good original. If a crook can pay $2000 for a high end SS fake item and sell it for 2X-10X that... think about it.

I agree completely! Eventually it winds up in the hands of a collector who accepts it as real and there it stays.
        best wishes,
        jeff
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

I agree, I am quite certain that items that get returned to dealers or otherwise outed as fake are re-sold as reproductions. Many of these items do turn up again at some point being sold as original. I think a lot of dealers have outlets where they know they can get rid of this type of thing. There are people who collect reproductions after all.

Most of the fake uniforms shown on this forum are either made by Sturm or are the Latvian junk with the ribbed wool.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
            Most of the dealers will if it is pointed out to them that an item is fake, withdraw it from the market and destroy it. They will then refund you all cost that you might have incurred, including buying the fake.Jacques
            With the greatest of respects, I think thats a bit naive Jaques, theres still money in 'them' that would count for something.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad View Post

I agree Mike!

For example I have yet to see one of the 1000's of Czech fake FJ helmets sold as a fake. Even after they get returned. They all end up in collections somewhere.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by robertdmountfor View Post
                With the greatest of respects, I think thats a bit naive Jaques, theres still money in 'them' that would count for something.
                you are right,most from this item you can see on your friend table "regimentals"

Comment

man, there is strong anti-regimental bias around here.

Comment

Fakes?

All you have to do is make one lap around the thousand or so tables at the SOS and you'll have your answer. If you were to take all the fakes out of that show and only have the items that were 100% original you'd only need maybe a third of the tables...or less!! Thats the state of this hobby, it's all about the dollars, euros, pounds or whatever spends!! Alex

Comment

Ebay!

Comment

Destroyed???? i have never heard of ONE!!!! instance where a fake has been destroyed after being returned for refund... What i see is it being posted again as genuine.
                        Where do fakes go?? they go on dealers /collectors tables at shows like it has been stated, then to idiot collectors thinking just because it is on a ""name''dealers table/web site..... well, it just has to be ''real"""

You are right about the percentage of tables left if repros/fakes being past as real were banned from SOS.MAX,JAG...

Comment

Originally posted by robertdmountfor View Post

Comment

Fakes

Many go to Manions as well. I see a lot of things on there that in my opinion are not good. You still can find very nice original items sometimes but a lot of the uniforms appear to have been tampered with and many of the awards have issues. Ebay is also a common dump outlet. I have ided items as fakes etc. from dealers and know that these are sold as "special offers" to clients they know who are less discerning than I. I do not think a high end fake is going to be destroyed when Ided. Most likely sold to the unaware to "pass the buck" or to "keep the bucks". One of my worse feelings is getting jpegs from someone or seeing a collection and I can tell the piece is a POS or I actually remember seeing it for sale as real and knew it was bad.

I deal with the same thing with Mesoamerican antiquities and archaeology, there are many fakes and these can go for 100K or more for certain items ie. jade or gold. In this case we do not tell anyone. If they are supporting looting of tombs and grave by collecting illegal art let them pay through the nose and loose their asses.

J

Comment

if there were no fakes, the tables would be bare,, some are made very nice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X