Panzer Wrap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Wrap???

What uniform(s) would the crew of a SDKFZ 222 normally wear? I've read that the reed green unis were made for armored car crews, but most of the pictures I've seen of 222 show them wearing either the black uni or a regular uni. Was the reed green wrap limited to armored car crews or was it a general issue?

There is no short answer nor rule to go by....depends on what time in the war you are discussing regarding the field grey wrap, too. Later in the war, more kinds of units came to wear it...panzer grenadiers, for exmple. However, with respect to Aufklärungstruppe, anything will be seen. Generally, armored car crews (as distinct from tracked vehicle crews) may have been more prone to the balck wraps - throughout the war- but the standard field grey field service uniform as well as the HBT field grey wraps, fatigue uniforms and coveralls were also seen in photos...and by around 1943 - a year of significant change in uniforms - the field grey wrap I think was authorized as well - it was certainly used based on photos. Staffs of these units - who were typically not as far forward as the actual recon troops - also wore black. Black was a very distinct uniform, so anything field grey would have been less conspicuous and in my opinion, was probably at least, if not more, prevalent than black. However, the attraction to the black uniform was very strong...it symbolized an elite branch of warfare...and many units could not resist its lure...to include sturmartillierie.
    This help?
    CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott,
      Thanks for the info on the field grey wraps, but I'm really looking for data on the "reed green" version.
      I believe this version was initially intended to be worn OVER their regular uniform in winter and by itself during the summer. Here's a link that shows something about the wrap, but I still need data on it's use by the recon units.
      http://users.townsqr.com/redwards/hbt_wraps.htm

IMO this wrap looks cool, but from what you've said I doubt that it was produced in great quantities.

Comment

Yes...I was including these in my "HBT" comment in my first response. They were designed large to go over the regular wrap, but were frequently worn alone. As well, Aufklärungs crew members wore these...they were pretty ubiquitous. You can find period photos of recon troopes wearing just about anything.
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Hi Guys,
          Ah, one of my interests also! The Aufklärungs troops were issued with the standard 4 pocket service dress like all other troops. In addition to this soldiers who served in armoured recon vehicles recieved the black wrap (initially) but later this was changed to the feldgrau wrap. But all soldiers were issued the 4 pocket service dress regardless of recieving the black or grey wrap.

Like Scott mentions there was a lot of variety displayed in even the same unit. Uniformity in work dress was not high on the adgenda and it's been shown that when soldiers have several uniforms available to them, these will be worn in various combinations. Add to that the changes of role, the change from black wraps to feldgrau and then changes of insignia (including branch colours!) you have a real mix! That is why there is a certain lack of uniformity.

The HBT (herringbone twill) wrap set was worn by various branches of the armoured forces. I have one for sale here http://www.ww-2militaria.com/b/catem...btset_desc.htm and it is sturmartillery....but they are found with any number of armoured branch insignias on them (when you can find one!) like Aufklärungs, panzer, panzerjäger and panzer artillery. The wrap was provided with two rows of buttons, so that it could be worn as an outer protective garment over the wool uniform, or tightened and worn as a summerweight tunic on it's own. It was very practical but was issued in smaller numbers that meant it didn't change the overall appearance of the armoured soldier. It should be noted that these were issued to more and more trops as the war went on....with the feldgrau wrap and it's HBT version being issued to halftrack crews and eventually (as Scott mentioned) the panzergrenadiers who rode in them. If you look at pictures of the Pz Lehr grenadiers in Normandy they are almost all decked out in wraps with the very rare grass green piped panzer style tab with litzen center.

Hope that has helped with the history of this uniform in wear.
          Cheers, Wade K.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses! As it is with just about everything else that was suppose to be "standard" I can see this reed green HBT unit had a wide degree of use.

Wade, that's a nice uni you have there for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by Dubar1 View Post
              What uniform(s) would the crew of a SDKFZ 222 normally wear? I've read that the reed green unis were made for armored car crews, but most of the pictures I've seen of 222 show them wearing either the black uni or a regular uni. Was the reed green wrap limited to armored car crews or was it a general issue?
              I've seen many regular army uniforms worn as well in original photos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X