Pressed Paper Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressed Paper Buttons

I read that NVA (East German) paper buttons are sometimes used to help fake German WW2 clothing. Can anybody show or explain the difference(s)? Thanks!

I'm far from an expert, but here's what I know right now.

Left to right in scan:

NVA--I removed this from an NVA wool tunic

WWII--I removed this one from an M41 tunic that was in very bad shape

WWII--mint condition, bought it from bunker Militaria, is it a real one or not??

WWII--I removed this one from a card of 72 buttons I bought from a guy in the Netherlands

From what I've seen, the NVA paper buttons are dark green and have no patterning on them.

That's the extent of my knowledge, does anyone else have more info?

V
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you! That is actually a great help.

Comment

Hi John,
        Paper pressed buttons will be found in tan,white and gray colours.

They will be found with a pattern or smooth.Ive found the the smooth style tend to be found on light weight uniform items including HBT tunics,tropical tunics and shirts.
        The patterned type (as shown) appear to be common on woollen tunics.

Comment

What about two hole buttons versus four hole buttons?

Comment

John,

I have an original undershirt that was found in a barn in Russia that has most of its original buttons on it, it uses both 2 and 4 hole buttons. Although the buttons are very worn on one of the buttons on the front you can faintly see a texture like originals shown above.

4 hole:

2 hole:

Regards,

Comment

Hi John,
              Havent found any consistent pattern of use with 2 hole verses 4 hole.
              4 hole seems to be used more.I suppose having the extra hole for an extra loop of thread would make the adherance of the 4 hole superior over the 2 hole.

I found this site which shows a couple of decent shots of smooth patterned pressed paper buttons.(2 hole ones)
              Compare these with the NVA one shown above(ignoring the hole numbers of course) and you will see the difference in manufacturing characteristics.

www.bunkermilitaria.com/

go to "German WW2"

Then "Clothing and footwear"

Then scroll down to "item 7"

Comment

The smooth pattern pressed paper buttons are fine (the type on the above website) have seen them originally applied on wool jackets as well.

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                  The smooth pattern pressed paper buttons are fine (the type on the above website) have seen them originally applied on wool jackets as well.

Glenn
                  AGREED, I have seen them on original items also.

Gerard

Comment

One of my HBT tunics have a similar style of smooth pattern button utilised for the cuff closures and field bandage pocket.They are 4 hole ones and are slightly flatter than the ones shown on the weblink.Identical in all other respects.

Buttons would of been produced in numerous varieties and im sure we havent seen every type yet.

Comment

Paper buttons,rust free!

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
                      I read that NVA (East German) paper buttons are sometimes used to help fake German WW2 clothing. Can anybody show or explain the difference(s)? Thanks!
                      Here is a card I have with patterned paper buttons on that I assume are ww11,and note that they are guaranteed rust free!

Cheers Jerry.

Comment

A small contribution, team. These also come in a rust colour. This is on a 1943 3rd pattern tropical tunic.
                        Mark.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Button thread.

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                          A small contribution, team. These also come in a rust colour. This is on a 1943 3rd pattern tropical tunic.
                          Mark.
                          The thought just occured to me,a discussion on shirt buttons how bizarre!My wife thinks I need to get out more or see a shrink.

Comment

I read somewhere, that buttons for underwear were made also in vulcanized fiber. This is a term to indicate pressed paper buttons or something else?

Many thanks,
                            Andrea

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                            X