German officer's sheepskin frock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German officer's sheepskin frock

In my search for German helmets throughout Norway, I was contacted today by a woman that has an original sheepskin full-length officer's coat that her father absconded with at the end of the war. She has sent me pictures via her cell phone.

I would like to give this woman a fair price. Assuming it is in good condition, how much would an item like this be worth?

Are these things pretty rare? I do not know which branch of service it is, but I assume it is Army. I will ask her to see if there are any labels or other identifying marks.

Anyway, if anyone can help me here I appreciate it very much!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NARVIK1940; 01-03-2008, 06:46 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Just spoke with her on the phone. She said they were going to throw it away! She is going to contact a local museum, and may donate it to them, if she does not take my offer. We'll see. It deserves a good home!

There are apparently no identifying marks on this, but her father stole it from a German barracks that was attached to the family home at the end of the war. It is in good condition, but has been used for ice fishing on occasion since the war ended.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NARVIK1940; 01-03-2008, 06:53 AM.

Comment

They are not easy to find with fur collars (as opposed to feldgrau wool) and in good shape like that one. They are undervalued because collectors are not killing each other to get one much less 200 like they are so many other more flashy (but less signifigant) items.

I think that good general value to put on that one would be around $500. I have seen them sell for nearly twice that but I would not be surprised if one might also run accorss one at half that price as well.

Comment

Thanks

That was my guess as well.

If anyone is interested I can pursue it for them. Not a collector of these (no room)! Pretty cool, though.....

I doubt a museum would pay anything for it. So she might call, I had guessed something in that price range when I talked to her.

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X