holy moly
      what a tunic great start on the waf with this girl

Comment

Very nice indeed

Comment

Magnificient tunic + awards!!

Congratulations!!

Comment

Fantastic grouping, just love that visor. Mark.

Comment

Thanks a lot

Comment

Wonderful items...Thanks for showing.

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Excellent grouping to be proud of!
                  Steve

Looking for anything relating to Pi.Btl.16 or Pz.Pi.Btl.16

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Amazing grouping and thanks for sharing

Comment

Set

Very nice! I miss Germany! You must have been very happy to have found this.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Sturmkurt - lovely tunic, but it is for an Oberst der Artillerie, not a reservist officer. Was Santmann promoted?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                          Welcome to the forum, Sturmkurt - lovely tunic, but it is for an Oberst der Artillerie, not a reservist officer. Was Santmann promoted?

Don
                          There is NO WAY to look at a Heer officer's tunic and tell if the wearer was a reserve officer or not. The gray reserve underlay was dropped around 1940 (one can look up the exact year, I'm too lazy) and after that all of the insignia as the same for regular and reserve officers.

Just as a point of interest, my casual review of RK awardee lists show that Reserve officer's were awarded these in about the same numbers as regular officers....at least in proportion to their numbers. The bottom line is that the Germans did not make a distinctionin assignments between reserve and regular status....I'm not saying that this distinction is implied in this thread but only pointing out that many of the most decorated and most key combat unit leader assiginments were held by reserve officers.

Comment

Boards

In the photo he is wearing reserve boards with the underlay visible, I cannot make out the rank? I would guess this is prewar, looks like OBlt. or Hptm?. To me it looks like Hauptmann with a number?

If he was a Major in 42, full Oberst would be expected by 45'. He is not in the Ranglisten but is in the Schiebert DKiG book. I suspect there is a file on him in NARA that would have all that good info we love.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                              There is NO WAY to look at a Heer officer's tunic and tell if the wearer was a reserve officer or not. The gray reserve underlay was dropped around 1940 (one can look up the exact year, I'm too lazy) and after that all of the insignia as the same for regular and reserve officers.

Just as a point of interest, my casual review of RK awardee lists show that Reserve officer's were awarded these in about the same numbers as regular officers....at least in proportion to their numbers. The bottom line is that the Germans did not make a distinctionin assignments between reserve and regular status....I'm not saying that this distinction is implied in this thread but only pointing out that many of the most decorated and most key combat unit leader assiginments were held by reserve officers.
                              Thanks, Phil -

I learn something new every day!

Don

Comment

R
                                In the book Soldat by Sigfried Knappe, he described that during the preparation of the invasion of Poland and France a lot of "reservist" joined his unit. After the campaign ( Poland and France) were over the Reservist were "happy to go back to civiliant life". After the invasion of Russia due man power shortage reserve officers were not allowed to go back. So after June 22 1941 the pre war difference between active duty and reservist was obliterated. I am not sure about seniority issues?
                                I highly recomend his book

http://www.amazon.com/Soldat-Reflect...9381150&sr=8-1

Juan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X