Tropical officer eagle

Opinions please.
    Attached Files
    HC

Attached Files
    HC

Comment

Harry,
      I have to say I like it. I would like it a lot more if embroidered on olive drill as this backing tan material looks like Luftwaffe or KM.
      But I like the construction, and the detail, and the deterioration of the wire.
      We can't know everything about what was custom made for officers in tropical areas as there was a lot of personal latitude in regulations. But there are too few surviving originals out there. How many times have we seen monkeyed with early tropical tunics on estand and dealers sites lately? Any untouched originals?
      Photos of something like this in use will exist, (statistically they MUST). The hard part is that, if we are talking N.Africa, for example, maybe a TOTAL of 180,000 men passed through the AFRIKAKORPS, including those captured in Tunisia. (I won't get into Southern France, USSR's or Italy's numbers!)
      Break that down to surviving officer's tunics in POW camps, then those that made it after 4 years of basically continual wear to get back to Germany while not being destroyed on return as authorized...
      I squeel when I think of the stockpiles of tunics burned in huge piles in 1943 in N.Africa...
      Regards!
      Mark.
      Last edited by NZMark; 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Yup, looks real..

Jos.

Comment

Tropical officer eagle

Hi fellas,

Eagle looks absolutely genuine. I've seen very few with the tropical cloth backing - all were on privately tailored officer's pattern tropical/DAK tunics.

Happy a Moderator posted on it.

Nice find!

Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by DAKcollector1 View Post
            Hi fellas,

Eagle looks absolutely genuine. I've seen very few with the tropical cloth backing - all were on privately tailored officer's pattern tropical/DAK tunics.

Happy a Moderator posted on it.

Nice find!

Christopher
            Because at least a Moderator has a worthy opinion (Sorry Harry & Jos, this guy makes me laugh!)
            Mark.
            Last edited by NZMark; 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Tropical officer eagle

Wow, a stalker. Please stop stalking me on this site.

Thank you,

Christopher Stone
              Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 12-27-2007, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAKcollector1 View Post
                Wow, a stalker.
                Chris, you should feel special. I am still looking for a stalker .... maybe someday. Matt

Comment

WAF stalker

Comment

Sorry Harry,
                    I won't comment on this hypocrit's antics here. Your eagle is a very nice find - well done. Keep in touch.
                    Mark.

Comment

Eagle

I am pretty sure there are a couple of photos in books of eagles like this in wear. I will poke around today since it is so nice out in the snow storm. I have not been in the US for a Winter in 9 years. I had to pick this one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X