X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Tunic

I am just starting out collecting and purchased a miscellaneous
    group of WW2 German items. This tunic came from a captured
    soldier in Italy so the story goes. Any comments?
    Thanks Terry

I guess my picture didn't upload.

Comment

Panzer Uniform

I'll try again
      Attached Files

Comment

Panzer Tunic

Here's inside the tunic.
        Attached Files

Comment

collar

It does not look right for WW2. Converted East German? The collar neck closure is weird looking and the seams along the chest area??? Also it appears to be very smooth (rayon blend?) modern material...
          Sorry but it does not get me too excited (except for the pzr waffenfarbe insignia)
          I hope I'm wrong on this one! Liner shots might also help! Does it have a dagger hanger strap?
          Nick

OH never mind you just posted liner shots! It is East German based on the stamp which is a dead give away!!! "VA" means "Volks Armee"... =peoples army (DDR)
          You usually see "NVA" stamped in these which means "Nationale Volks Armee"
          (=Nat'l Peoples army)
          Bad too the bone I believe! I think I even see a '51 date! and another date??? "Richter Berlin 1940" ??? must have been added!! When fakers add stamps the verbeage "Berlin" is a popular one of course!
          The uniform material does look like mottled Polizei material as used during the war by Polizei troops... now that you're showing close ups of the lining...the overall look still points towards post war I'm afraid!
          Last edited by NickG; 12-24-2007, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, although I think it may be wool.
            The bottom pockets are not functioning either-- probably
            another problem for authenticity. Its hard to start collecting
            and hit the mark right , although I got a very nice helmet
            lots of badges, a dagger, and some other hardware for a
            reasonable price. So now I have taken an interest and will
            definitely be more cautious on my next purchase. It is
            really great to have a forum like this for junior collectors.
            Thanks Terry

Comment

This tunic is postwar for sure... sorry

Kind regards
              Jens

Comment

any chance of knowing the dealer or individual that sold you this pack of lies?

Comment

Tunic

It is indeed East Germany. This is too bad that this happened. If you are just starting collecting uniforms I would make the friendly suggestion of investing in reference books before spending to much money on tunics. The books will pay for themselves the first time you pass over a junk or messed with tunic. Good luck.

Comment

I truely believed the person I bought it from and he also had
                    a good story to go with it. He owned it for many years and
                    maybe didn't know its poor heritage. I bought a pile of
                    stuff from him and will now verify it on this forum.
                    I have learned a lesson and will be more careful in the future.
                    meanwhile I will throw this tunic in the burning barrel.
                    Thanks for the info !
                    Terry

Comment

Before throwing the jacket in the fire save the insigna: there could be something good.
                      Gustavo

Comment

Terry,

Another thing that you will learn through many of the great books out there is that officers were provided with a clothing allowance and would go to Kleidekasses and tailors to have their uniforms made. In that case, they would NEVER (careful of that word) stencil size markings or manufacturer information. They would use a label if a tailor and no size markings.

This tunic is also a 5-button front but notice there is no button at the collar.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for your comment Bob, I have been made aware of that through reading
                          lots of threads on this site. I had never seen a Panzer Tunic when Ibought
                          this one and of course believed what I was told. The fellow who sold it to me has moved across the country so I can't contact him. I also bought a SD M35
                          helmet with original paint. I am now afraid to show it almost as it may be a
                          fake. Also I got a SS belt and buckle, a Heer belt and buckle, a dagger
                          and lots of badges.
                          Does this tunic have any value? The breast patch looks good, could it
                          possibly be original?? What about the shoulder and collar pieces?
                          Thanks for your comments.
                          Regards Terry

Comment

Hi there,

Well bad news for you unfortunatly. I agree with the fellow collectors who mentioned the fact that to have reference is good, but on the other hand no one ever should do this to someone not so experienced. I tell you honestly my first tunic was an NCO dress tunic an Army one (WH) and I never had seen one before...when I showed it to others everyone liked it (I wasn`t a member at the time here), the dealer was correct and fair who I got it from. If you find someone who is correct stick to it and that is a good perspective in this field of collecting.

To me not original ones are not woth anything doesn`t matter what quality it is, its still fake, this is maybe worth 20-50$, I had one a year ago but not with 3rd. Reich insignia and sold it for $50 (Au.$).

All the best for the new year and keep up collecting !

Les.

Comment

Sorry for your bad starting, but sure you will learn very much on this Forum. Post all your pieces and "clean" your collection.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X