German Uniform Tailors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Uniform Tailors

Thought I might throw this thread out and see if any of the uniform connosieurs tuning in would care to share their knowledge regarding German tailors.

I have two tunics tailored by Wilhelm Holters of Berlin. I have read that this firm was considered to be one of the premier tailors in Third Reich Germany.

How big was the Holters shop in Berlin? Did they exclusively tailor uniforms or did they do non-military/paramilitary clothing as well. Were there other German tailors of similar repute? Did Holters make visor hats as well? If someone with the funds wanted a perfectly matched visor and tunic, was there such a thing as one stop shopping? I may be dealing in trivial minutia here - If so, I stand ready to be pelted with stones!

I've heard that Hugo Boss tailored officers uniforms, something they probably would'nt want advertised today. Some what related is Doc Martin was a ski boot manufacturer in Germany and invented boots for frost bitten soldiers on the eastern front.

Comment

An interesting point about uniforms and caps-- I don't think I have ever encountered any firm that did BOTH! Apparently hat making was considered its own specialty, like getting boots made.

Comment

I'll check to see if there is an advert for this tailor in the RZM book I mentioned in the "Reference Materials and Research Forum".

The book might also shed light on what products they offered as there seem to have been different codes for uniforms, hats, etc. I'll let you know what I find, if anything!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Holters

I know for a fact that Holters made caps and hats as well as tunics, trousers, breeches, overcoats, etc. I have a number of Holters made items in my collection as well. There is at least one photo of AH holding a visor cap in which you can make out the Holters logo under the sweatshield.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

My friend was an Leutnant of Infantrie in 1944,he was from an upper middle class family in Berlin.He told me about Holters as before the war he was in the "Ragtrade",it was the most exclusive tailoring firm in Berlin.Adolf Hitler and other Nazi personalities had their uniforms made there,that's how esteemed they were!
            I own an Officer's Schirmmuetze for Panzer made by Holters,its the finest doeskin and extra fine workmanship,it beats Erel hands down.Only those with the bucks bought their uniforms and Hats from Holters.
            Servus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X