Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunic details - QUESTION

Hello guys,

I know that here are some very good experts.
    Is it originally sewed-on eagle or not? I took a look from the inside (between the lining and the wool) – it is not a machine-stitching.

IMO this part was added after the tunic was made - the color is different and it is sewed to the lining.
    The hole leads to the inside of the left pocket. What was the purpose of it?

The last question. Are these buttons all right? The buttons on the collar differ from the buttons on the sleeves.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by bnz. 42; 06-16-2003, 07:01 AM.

Hi bnz,
    I cannot detect the stitching from the pictures.....but it all appears to be correct and as for the buttons....they are correct, no problem, the paper button is at the collar for buttoning the collar liner in and the plastic type button is that used on the cuffs generally. The cloth piece added later is a slot for the hanging of a sidarm like a dagger or sword. This is common to issue tunics that have been adapted for wear by senior NCOs or officers.......it appears correct also.

Remember when you are asking about a jacke like this that a good overall picture of the item is as helpful as the best close-up pictures. It would help to see what the tunic is please.
    Hope that is of help to you! Cheers, Wade.

Comment

Tunic Questions

BNZ,

The eagle is a little bit off center as well. Good chance its a replacement, but could be wartime done. The owner looks like he upgraded it a bit to wear as walking out dress.The slit is for a dagger hanger and that looks like a wartime modification. The paper bottoms look okay to me.Jim

Comment

Often extremely difficult to tell. Many, many were taken off after the war, but as well, many were hand-sewn during the war. I have little problem with the hand-sewn eagles - other than having to guess at times. This one is very nicely and professionally done. It looks 'stuffed' as if some of the backing material is sewn underneath...which is more right in my opinion. The matching green thread to sew it on is not necessarily a bad thing either and in thiscase, may be fine as well. The breast eagle should be parallel to the ground and not necessarily the pocket, so it could be positioned correctly...but I agree with Wade...can we see the entire uniform? The rest looks fine to me.
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

re

Hello Pual i don,t see nothing wrong with this tunic
          if mine memmory is good this is that m-36 tunic
          artellerie piped bought by herr weitze

I have severall tunic,s with the replacement,s of the eagle
          just what other,s say that many time,s the decal,s were stripped of after the war or during the war that is very hard to say

IMO it doesn,t make,s the tunic less wanted
          because all insigna,s factory machine stichted on
          is a very rare thing to come cross these day,s

I have a m-36 tunic that is converted to an officer
          the officer,s eagle is also handapplied
          and beneath the officer,s litzen there are still remaining,s of the enlisted -litzen

greetings Johnny
          sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Hi,
            The eagle is very nicely stitched to the tunic,it's a typical stitching..

A lot of eagles were sewn on jackets by hand in war also.
            I've seen several jackets done by tailors and handstitched eagles.

A lot of SS jackets were made here in Amsterdam for example.
            These were done by jews.
            They used the common sewing machines that weren't equiped for the zig-zag stitching,so eagles were hand stitched on these.
            I can imagine a field tailor also applied them by hand when someone suddenly needed a new jacket or on jackets that hadn't a eagle on it in the first place.

Jos.

Comment

re

Heey Jos that is indeed also an interesting factor
              you brought up

still can learn here

groetjes uit den bosch
              JOHNNY

Comment

Thank you, guys for your replies.
                I will post pictures of the entire tunic right after I finish a mannequin. Definitely, modern mannequins are not designed for German tunics. I already bought two mannequins and both of them have too thick necks while shoulders are not wide enough. I am working on one of my "Pinocchio"s neck right now – so it will take some time..
                Yes, this tunic just arrived from Weitze. God, it took almost one month for delivery. He put the wrong address on a parcel. I was lucky that people on a local post office knew me personally and could find me.

The eagle is not off center. It is on the same line with a pocket button. You just cannot see it on the picture.

Yes indeed, this hand-sewing is a very clever work. The thread is hardly visible and goes right on an edge of the patch. Only professional tailor could do this.
                Today, I looked from the inside of the tunic, where the eagle is sewed-on, (between the lining and the wool) to the sunlight. I didn’t notice any holes from previous sewings (if any).
                We all know how rare and nice are original sewn-on eagles. It is why it is so important to me too. I don’t care about a market value for this tunic. I am not going to sell it anyway for any price. This is already forth tunic that I bought. Three of them were fakes, though each of them was sold to me as original. Nowadays, it is really, really hard to find an original tunic that you would really like.

Can you tell me please what kind of dagger this guy would wear and how to attach it to the tunic correctly? If you could post some pictures for me (both the dagger and how to attach it), it would be great.
                Here is one more picture of the slot from the other side.

Hi Wade, I am glad to "see" you again!
                Look at this, isn’t nice?

Thank you again to all of you, guys.

Comment

re

Hello Paul i hope i can answer your question
                  your answer about with dagger????

and how to attach it????

first of all :you have sevverall colour,s of gripping
                  of the dagger yellow white and brown
                  i really don,t know off this indicate some rang NCO/OFF.
                  or just normaly variation,s
                  if this is a combat tunic (and you want to dress it like that)
                  it isn,t with the regulation,s to attach a dagger
                  IMO they only wear the dagger on leave and with ceromony,s

not in the battlefield,s

the second how to attach:sometime the tunic has already
                  original a hanger attached with sewing,s in the inside of the left
                  sleeve see pic1

but is the tunic without it you always can buy an original hangatatchmend that you put underneath the tunic see pic2 and pic3

i hope this will help you alittle

greetings johnny
                  Attached Files

Comment

re

after some fight with mine f&*(*kingcomputer

here are the pics

PIC1
                    Attached Files

Comment

re

the computer has going mad but i also this time i won the battle
                      fromm this f@@@@@cking machine moremad moremad moremad

Hello Paul PIC1
                      Attached Files

Comment

rr

pic2
                        Attached Files

Comment

rr

pic3
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think I will keep it than in a "trench style" but thank you John anyway

Can you or any body else tell me how can I become an Association Member? Who do I need to contact to and how to find that person?

Comment

re

Heey Paul go to the home side of this page
                              then in the right corner you see that little red balks
                              with thee text USERCP REGISTER CALENDER MEMBERS ETC ETC

you must enter the memebers and there you see what you must do

cheers johnny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X