Wear of Awards Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wear of Awards Question

I have a question. I am trying to mount a close combat clasp and a ribbon bar on this tunic. I noticed that the eagle on the right side of the tunic is not parallel to the upper edge of the breast pocket. The eagle is parallel to the line of the ground.
    I also noticed that CCC and ribbon bar look funny when I put them parallel to the edge of the left pocket because the angle of the pocket’s upper edge line to the line of the ground is pretty big.
    My question:
    Would it be correct (was it common?) if I mount these badges the same way the eagle is stitched to the right side – parallel to the line of the ground?

Thank you for your help

First of all, your eagle is placed on the tunic correctly.

As for the Close Combat Clasp, I have seen period photographs where it was worn both ways. Where the pocket angle is 'severe' I've seen them wear it parallel to the ground and on tunics where the angle is fairly shallow I've seen it worn parallel to the top edge of the pocket. In short, it would be correct either way. I take it the tunic came without loops and you're putting them on.
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Thank you, Thomas. Now, I can start working on it.
      Do you have, by any chance, some photos. It would be nice to see.
      P.S. The tunic came with loops but I have an original thread so I can make new ones. Especially as I am not sure if they are period-made.

Comment

The photos I've seen have been in books, and I don't have a scanner, or I'd post them for you.
        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Here you have an example of period photo of how it could be wore. He is Obergefreiter Ludwig Neumair holder of the NKSiS.

Angel
          Attached Files
          Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Thanx Angel

Can anybody post some other pictures?

Thank you in advance

Comment

This is Fahnenjunker Rudolf Lindl, later Leutnant and killed in a POW-camp in France a few days before the war did end:

Robert

Comment

bnz. 42 - please, please do not add on any badge loops...even if you suspect that those already on it are post war applied. Just my opinion, but that turns your nice uniform in to something it never was...it is yours, so you can obviously do as you wish, but not something I recommend (and I know you were not asking opinions - but this is a Forum after all).

Restoration maybe ok at times...I am doing it on two of my uniforms - but fabrication/upgrading - ouch.
                CSP

sigpic

Comment

Robert, do you have any other document relating Leutnant Lindl?

If you have, do you want to open a thread in the document forum and show us what you have? I'm really interested in the Nahkampfspange and I like to see other photos, citations, soldbuch or material related with your officer.

Thanks in advance

Angel
                  Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

I hear you, Scott. For the same reason I didn’t do really cruel things to the tunic such as changing the branch of service, or turning it to SS.
                    It won’t be painful to the tunic if I decorate it. The tunic would look much better, and it is also the best way to display awards.
                    After all, loops are just a thread, which is easy to remove at anytime without leaving any damage to the tunic.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X