Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this "Economy" M36 Tunic

Hi everybody!

I was looking on ebay and found this "economy" or "mobilization" M36? I don't have a lot of experience with this style of tunic. I have seen few of these tunics for sale on other "reputable" dealer web sites. Does anyone have one of these?

I think there was a thread on this a wile back? The tunic has the classic number "6" for the shoulder strap buttons. Also has the simulated cuffs and partial lining. The eagle is a bevo m36 style rather than the embroidered type which seems to be normal for this kind of tunic.

Anyway, all opinions and comments welcome.

Regards, Steve

Hello Steve
    This one was on Ebay . I saw it and pass.
    Looks to be a M33 tunic modified 36 with the addition of a Green collar.
    I believe it to be a repro , wool looks to be "late" in color and quality instead of the nice early wool. I don't like the lining at all and kind of remind me of the current repros. The lining is not complete for a M33 or M34 model either.
    Jphilip is the one to ask , he know a lot more about these early tunics.
    Best Regards
    Pierre-Yves

Comment

This style of tunic has been dicussed on the forum before. I had one with infantry piped straps and matching trousers that I bought as a set in 1982. I have seen several others over the years, all with the '6' shoulder strap buttons, and consider them to be authentic period tunics. There is a prewar book about Austrians in th army that shows photographic proof that this style tunic was used.

The most plausible theory that I have heard was the the dramatic increase in the army in the late thirties resulted in the production of this 'economy' model tunic in order to get as many people kitted out as quickly as possible.

Ed

Comment

All

I have a M36 that is dated 1940 it has the full lining. The theory is plausible, but hard to believe considering the strict manufacturing standards applied by the German Military that was enforced up until almost the end of the war. The M40 tunics still had full linings, which of course was a wartime production manufactured when many were needed not only for new troops but as replacement jackets for those destroyed in combat. In addition all issue tunics (not tailor made) will have stamps that include sizing and on the early ones a depot stamp. This has nothing; yes they could have faded from use. Based on the photos both the wool and cotton interior look very close to the stuff used by the Swedes, again it may be just my eyes. I don't think it is real at all, except for the insignia and buttons. One last thing, what is the inside (the part you don’t see when folded) made from, it should be, at least on my M36, M40 and M43 tunics made from green HBT with the characteristic zig-zag sewing.

M44

Comment

Gerard has a similar one for sale on his website right now.. with stamps

http://www.relichunter.com/gerunif.htm

Have anyone ever seen one of these in heavy used condition?? They always seems to be close to mint??

Kind regards
          Jens
          Last edited by Jens Thune; 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Steve,

From my observations, it appears this tunic's lining is similar to the one seen on Dutch made M36 tunics (a redish hue). Oddly, it is also similar to some lining seen in M44-45 tunics. I do not have any opinion on the originality of this item. Only that the lining color and method of application is similiar to other tunics. Those "other" tunics have been accepted as original. Further, I have seen several of these pop up recently.

If I am poorly describing my thoughts, let me know and I will explain further using photographs.

Thanks, Frank

Comment

Here is the previous thread-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=austrian+m36

Gerard

Comment

Thanks to all whom have responded. I took a chance and placed a bid on it and won! I received it thursday. I must say that it is well made and has an authentic smell to it. Also, the insignia is authentic. There is a paper tag in it which is hard to read but it looks like a depot tag? I'll see about taking pictures of it ASAP. I like to look of it. Even if it is a repro, I still like it and it didn't cost a whole lot.

Steve

Comment

All

I have to state first just because a dealer is selling it does not make it any more original, regardless of what they claim. The one pictured yeah it has stamps none I’ve ever seen on real tunics or photos of tunics that have anything remotely looking like those stamps. The one pictured on the dealer site is worse then the one this thread. If you look closely the wear is considerable UNDER the breast eagle, ah ha it has been replaced. As I stated previously what is the collar backing made from, or was this also an economy measure for the Austrians. Right after the Anschluss, units simply sewed on a breast eagles to their Austrian tunics, as these more then likely wore out etc. they were replaced with REAL M36 (the Germans did not use this term) tunics, none of this economy bunk. The economy measures DID NOT go into effect until late in the war. Really taking off in mid 1944. Look at your field gear, all quite well made, then the 44 stuff comes along, what was once aluminum was now steel. The uniform materials degraded, what had been 90% wool was now Nettle Cloth or “Zellstoff’ that is cloth made from cellulose fibers, in other words from trees. In addition the one listed by the dealer has later war style collar tabs, yet is supposedly made right after the Anschluss, didn’t the Anschluss occur in 1937 (did I guess right?) you think they would have used the correct pre-war tabs. I would not for one minute believe the story about economy measure in 1937 or 1939. The only economy measure on these tunics is if your purchase this tunic your economy goes to the birds and the guy you buy it from shows a marked improvement in his economy.

M44

Comment

M44, you seem very certain and opinionated. I find your post to be insulting at best and have trouble following much of the logic.

Gerard

Comment

I have to agree with Gerard. M44, you need to be more tactful when addressing the item, and more specifically the person or dealer.

Steve, a good opportunity to study, learn, and teach. I would like to learn something here.

Frank

Comment

"economy" M36 Tunic

I Am Certain These Jackets Are Pre 1945!
                        Mine Is Well Worn, Has Battle Damage And Stains Which Look Like Blood. It Was On Bill Sheas Site A Few Years Back.
                        I Had A Mint One With Cavalry Straps At The Last Sos And Some Collectors Thought It Was A Movie Prop!
                        Steve

Comment

M36 economy

Hi Steve, The tunic looks fine to me, but the wool appears to have been washed. Frankly I'm suprised so many collectors still doubt these. The wool is identical to the "Austrian landeshutzen" tunic on weitze's site. I still say Austrian produced for post-anschluss Austrian army transfers.

I hope you win it , Mark

Comment

Just a point, no one is saying they were made for the anschluss, but many Austrians were drafted at the start of the invasion of Russia, on a mass scale. It could be for that build-up. This is speculation and no one is saying it is gospel.

Gerard

Comment

Relic Hunter

The logic is simple, it’s fake if you take my opinion as insulting sorry, I state my opinion nothing more nothing less.

Frank

Being that you are not my mother, father or wife, I do not NEED to be more tactful to you or any other person or dealer on this forum. I have my opinion you have yours that is what I thought these forums are about, presenting ones opinion, correct. Is there some rule that that states I have to be tactful when giving my opinion, if there is please pass me the link, I would like to read it myself. If you do not like how I present my case, fine don’t read it. We live in a free society; you know the whole free speech thing.

Have a pleasant day.

M44

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X