GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring a uniform stripped from insignia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a uniform stripped from insignia.

I recently came across a panzer uniform that has been stripped of all its insignia. After looking at it for a while one thought struck me: What if one were to restore it to its former glory? Using original insignia only of course. The thing is: What would be a dream for me to have in my collection would be a panzer uniform with the rank insignia of an Oberfeldwebel (ref: my grandfather), but to this date I have yet to see one for sale...

The insignia-depraved uniform would be a great project to work on and try to restore; a white breasteagle, two totenkopf collar patches and two Oberfeldwebel shoulder boards. But (and this is a big but) I would not want to screw up the application of the insignias on the uniform. Knowing my own skills with a sewing machine I would be more likely to sew my own fingers onto the uniform before any insignias!

Ergo: What I would like to see, hypethetically speaking, is the insignias applied with the correct seams etc as they would be if they had been applied during the Third Reich. So: are there any websites, books etc out there that outlines how to properly apply the insignias? Or people with the necessary skills?

Note: I do not own the uniform in question, but I wanted to get a discussion going and perhaps get some feedback on my ideas before going any further (thought-wise and/or monetary-wise). Perhaps I should also ask: What are the thought of you uniform collectors out there on the subject of restoring uniforms stripped of insignia?

EDIT: Excuse the error in the subject line.

I see nothing wrong with what you want if original insignia are applied.
    If you ever sell it though, best to make note of it being restored.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkChrisFrank View Post
      I see nothing wrong with what you want if original insignia are applied.
      If you ever sell it though, best to make note of it being restored.

Mark
      Yes, of course. That would be a given. But if I ever got this project off the ground and managed to see it through, people would have to pry the uniform from my cold, dead fingers before I let it go.

Comment

well then no probs for me
        In the end, if you but it, you can do with it what you want.

plus I like the grandfather touch !

Mark

Comment

Yes, at least as long as I do not do anything that would ruin it in any way. That would just be... plain old wrong.

plus I like the grandfather touch !
          Thanks! That is actually the chosen theme of my collection: one of everything that my grandfather had or came in contact with/used during his service.

Comment

There are usually some old experienced tailors in any big city. All they need is a sample (even a close-up picture) of what you are trying to achieve. Maybe I'm politically incorrect in bringing this up but... It's best to avoid Jewish tailors.. as they may be sensitive to your motives...

Comment

That sounds like a feasible and possible avenue yes. Definately worth looking into. And I do not consider you PC for bringning that up as it would probably only cause undue stress for both parties.

Comment

By the way: if there are any forummembers that have tried their hands restoration projects (to any extent); comments and input from you would be most welcome.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X