Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on New Set of DAK Straps

Hi Again,

I have found a second set of DAK straps and would like your opinions on them. I think they look pretty good. However I might be wrong. All comments welcome.

Steve

Steve,

Sent you a PM in response to your's.

In ref to the boards; this is just my opinion, but something is starting to scare me about the number of minty pairs of tropical straps appearing. Do these come from the same source as those trop Transports that went last week? They look convincing enough in the pics, but as with most of these items the best way to tell is to have them in your hand. Do you have a single or pair in your collection that you know without question "was there" to compare them to. I know there's a fair amount of variation in trop straps, but these look factory made enough to warrant some degree of consistency with other factory produced examples.

Looked at your collection link, fabulous, absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v/r

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply(s). These are from the same sourse as the other pair. I have them on hold at the moment. I also like the look of them. They are used and worn but in great shape.

Steve

Comment

Steve,
        Just an observation (not a judgement), but on my monitor the top (twill) material is quite worn/chaffed, but the corresponding wear is not present on the tongue or button holes. Can you please show close up's of the button-hole thread/stitch, and the sewing of the waffenfarbe?
        Regards,
        Mark.

Comment

I have to say that many of the ones that have been appearing lately tend to have the the same construction flaw, slightly different than what I'd like to see on an original set. These may be original, just not made quite how I'd like to see an original pair.

Mark

P.S. Pages 9 & 10 of this thread shows some very nice examples of original tropical boards and their construction.
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=dakfest
          Last edited by Mark Gibson; 08-31-2007, 07:46 AM.

Comment

You need to use extreme caution with some of the tropical 'boards that have been poppin' up lately. A number of ratty tunics and overcoats have been turned into 'boards and m-41 caps a good number of years ago by some very clever sewers here in So.Ca. Even when they are in your hand it can be difficult to tell being original material and thread and all that. They sell for more than good SS 'boards as you probably well know. Consider the source and see how far back you can trace them. You may never be 110% sure.

Comment

Raining tropicals

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
              Steve,

Sent you a PM in response to your's.

In ref to the boards; this is just my opinion, but something is starting to scare me about the number of minty pairs of tropical straps appearing. Do these come from the same source as those trop Transports that went last week? They look convincing enough in the pics, but as with most of these items the best way to tell is to have them in your hand. Do you have a single or pair in your collection that you know without question "was there" to compare them to. I know there's a fair amount of variation in trop straps, but these look factory made enough to warrant some degree of consistency with other factory produced examples.

Looked at your collection link, fabulous, absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v/r

Bob
              I agree with Bob, Mark and Mike, I remember seeing one or two real pairs a year at shows and on Ebay. Maybe nothing is going on but me thinks mischief is afoot. All of them seem to have little flaws and quirks. How many boards could you make from a tunic? 30 pairs at least and pull the piping off mothed up wool boards?

The boards on the thread look better then the others we saw but? Let's see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Comment

More

This guy now has 5 singles on US ebay. I did not look at them carefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-ORIGINAL-WW...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Just my experience..

Try to find a good pair of straps for the tan Luftwaffe tropical jacket, not the shirt quality, but the ones made outoff the same material and you'll see how many survived..
                  The original pairs I've seen for sale sofar are 4 over a very long period.
                  If you know a pair drop me a line..

I think they can make perfect straps, material is available, original thread is sold out in a minute on ebay regardless the amount and the eastern countries still use old sewing machines..,I've seen original piping as well, tailor stock, besides that I've seen plenty of other straps that were near perfect the last 20 years..

Be careful..

Jos.
                  Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

NCO Tropical Issue Straps on eBay . . .

Hi Guys,

I really don't think that there is anything wrong with these straps (except for the damage)!

None of those offered are pairs, and all have mouse and moth damage to them. Hardly collector grade stuff! But great reference material!

Check them out here.

Study the materials and manufacturing method of these straps - there is a wealth of information in these pictures!

Sincerely,

Diane

Comment

Moth / mouse damage is no indicator of age. The guy writes"I AM NOT TOO KNOWLEDGEABLE ON GERMAN ARMY ITEMS" and yet shows he is....

Comment

Moyh damage

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
                        Moth / mouse damage is no indicator of age. The guy writes"I AM NOT TOO KNOWLEDGEABLE ON GERMAN ARMY ITEMS" and yet shows he is....
                        I agree, I have seen repro tunics with moth damage and even holes cut into the fabric to look like mothing, shaving nap down flat is another trick.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X