Modified winter camo parka question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified winter camo parka question

I have this parka that has had the hood removed and replaced with a collar. I have seen others done the same way so it must have been fairly common. Has anyone ever seen a wartime photo of a parka with this type of modification, or is this something more likely to have been done in POW camps or for civilian use of these garments? Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Hello
    Yes it was common practise with the reversible parka ,less common with the non-reversible one ( I have never seen one) , there are some pictures showing it.
    I own one made with the collar of a M40 coat.
    This was done to prevent the white side to show ,when the camo side was worn out , the white made the soldier a great target !!! and resulted in bad head wound and death.
    Regards
    Pierre-Yves

Comment

that does make sense. I always wondered too. now I know. Glenn

Comment

Thanks Pierre-Yves! I would love to see a photo if anyone has one to share.

Comment

Error
          Last edited by Peter Moelans; 08-10-2007, 05:50 AM.

Comment

I only know of two period pictures with the hood removed completely in Beaver & Borsarello's book on Waffen-SS Camouflage, I can't remember seeing one with the hood altered to a collar.

This modification was also not very uncommon on the non-reverisble parka, since the unprinted interior of the hood was also a rather clear target. I have an example where press buttons were sewn in the hood, so it could be buttoned when not in use, hiding the interior (and preventing snow to fall in it?).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X