No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe blue tropical Flak tunic, opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could very well be Jos,I would expect the reverse bobbin thread used to apply the eagle to match that used in the jackets construction.If it matches the chevrons attachment thread type/colour I would have concerns.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I agree with Jos, the eagle appears to be original to this tunic. I like it!
      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
        Could very well be Jos,I would expect the reverse bobbin thread used to apply the eagle to match that used in the jackets construction.If it matches the chevrons attachment thread type/colour I would have concerns.

Glenn
        Glenn,

This is the first thing I looked at under a 10X loop when it came in yesterday. The eagles's thread and the thread used on the gefreiter patch are definately different. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Now I'm starting to wonder if the patches merely covered worn/torn spots on the tunic. I'll never know for sure.

On another Luftwaffe tunic I own, which was given a double by George Peterson, the thread used on the eagle is different than the thread used to sew the tunic. It's a woolen combat flak tunic.

Of note, Glenn...I can't see the reverse thread on my woolen combat flak tunic, where I can on this single-layered summer tunic. All I can see is the outside thread of the eagle. The thread on the eagle of this summer tunic is a little lighter colored than any other thread on the tunic. The tunic's main stitching thread is a typical feldgrau color, hint of blue in it. The eagle's thread is gray gray. The thread on the gefreiter patch is dark gray gray. unlike any other on the tunic. Every patch is different thread and color.

Robert BTW, my 5,000th post.
        Last edited by robert pierce; 07-31-2007, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté View Post
          Strange that there're rips under both insignia on the sleeve.., maybe someone has checked before what you're asking ?

Jos.
          Those were my thoughts. At least that is a question answered!! SWEET tunic.

paul

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
            Those were my thoughts. At least that is a question answered!! SWEET tunic.

paul
            Thanks Paul,

I'm thinking this is a keeper, unless anybody has a real issue with something. Sometimes you look at threads and think that they look new, like they were sewn recently. When I look at the main stitching of this tunic, the straight machine-sewn stitching, it looks almost new. It's kept it's scheen very well even after the sun has bleeched the tunics cotton material. It must be a rayon thread, certainly not cotton. It's a typical Luftwaffe feldgrau color.

When my belt, buckle and new torso mount come in, I'll post it on display. I'd give anything to have the blue web belt and y-straps for it. In a situation like this, did the Luftwaffe flak crews of the tropical climates use the tan ammo pouches, or did they have a blue version like the web belt?

Robert

Comment

A blue web belt will be tough, a buckle with blue webbed tab even tougher. In the meantime I'd go with blue painted belt hooks, a "true" Luftwaffe EM belt (tapered inner sizing belt), blue painted buckle, blue MP40 pouch and a brown P.08 holster. That would look great!
              WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                Glenn,

The eagles's thread and the thread used on the gefreiter patch are definately different. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Now I'm starting to wonder if the patches merely covered worn/torn spots on the tunic. I'll never know for sure.

Of note, Glenn...I can't see the reverse thread on my woolen combat flak tunic, where I can on this single-layered summer tunic. All I can see is the outside thread of the eagle. The thread on the eagle of this summer tunic is a little lighter colored than any other thread on the tunic. The tunic's main stitching thread is a typical feldgrau color, hint of blue in it. The eagle's thread is gray gray. The thread on the gefreiter patch is dark gray gray. unlike any other on the tunic. Every patch is different thread and color.

Robert BTW, my 5,000th post.

That is good to hear Robert,what with the glued on arm patches the eagle became a bit suspect. Of course the chevron would not have been applied at the factory.

Yes I have seen some eagles applied with different thread,in some cases I think a new spool of thread being used or to match the insignia.

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                  That is good to hear Robert,what with the glued on arm patches the eagle became a bit suspect. Of course the chevron would not have been applied at the factory.

Yes I have seen some eagles applied with different thread,in some cases I think a new spool of thread being used or to match the insignia.

Glenn
                  Thanks Glenn,

I can feel the material behind the eagle is loose. The thread is really a gray gray color. Looks fine. The 'glue' on the other two patches is spotty, not uniformly spread. I think it was applied in places to hold the patch in position while the patch was sewn on. This is jusy my acedemic thinking. I looked at the glue with a blacklight - no shine, no problems.

Thank you for your help.

Robert

Comment

I finally got my torso mount in, and my belt and buckle. I know the belt is not the tropical blue web, but for the life of me I just couldn't find one. So, the black will have to do temporarily. I hope you like what you see as much as me...

Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gefreiter...and range-finder...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That is a great looking display! I can hardly wait to see what a blue belt looks like on the tunic!

Comment

Nice display Robert. Try and look for blue painted belt hooks which will add to it very nicely
                            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I was told the Y-straps were also a blue web belt type. And the ammo pounches were even blue. In a flak book I have there is a crew manning an 88, wearing the tropical pith 'sun helmets' and the dark blue tropical tunics. The shot was taken in North Africa. It may take years to finish this display to the point of true originality. Lots of fun, and a lot of learning.

Robert

Comment

A member from France named alexandre recently had the blue shorts on the e-stand that match this tunic. Bill Shea also had a pair (which I used to own). Alexandre's price was very reasonable for the shorts. Perhaps they can still be found there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X