Edelweiss button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edelweiss button

Well it isn't much, just a button i found at a local junk store.
    It looks like a normal german army button only it has an edelweiss on it.
    Is it military? or just for civilians?

I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Not a Heer button.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Oke thanks, anyone else with an opinion?
      Maybe its boy-scout or something?
      Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

Grüß Gott Rick,

Looks like a button used for German-Austria-Swiss traditional costumes. Though I have seen a photograph of a Gebirgsjäger officer wearing a private purchase Bergmütze with Edelweiss buttons.

I have some other Edelweiss buttons. They are large buttons that I quess they would go to an great coat or Windjacke. They came with a set of KM buttons. I'll have to get some scans of them.

Comment

Thanks for the info, would like to see those scans

Comment

Buttons

I picked up a large lot of Gebirgs items about 15 years ago in Germany that included several of these buttons and issue edelweiss hat insignia. I believe they are WWII period civilian buttons and based on the the above photo saw some use with military clothing.

Comment

Servus Rick,

Here are the buttons that I mentioned. The KM buttons have "Kriegsmarine *19 (M in a diamond)<m> 40 *" and the GJ buttons have "GESETZL. GESCH." on the reverse side.

</m>

Comment

Buttons

Mine are identical to the first one pictured, a flat aluminum or alloy. I am working out of the US but if you like I can post pictures later in August.

Comment

Hello
                  Here is one of the two buttons found sewed on gebirgs relic tunic instead the standard shoulderstrap buttons.
                  Regards

Comment

I never knew those Edelweiss buttons ever existed.....very cool for GJ collectors
                    Ace

Comment

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so if I do write something wrong, do not take it very seriously
                      Well, I did not want to open a new topic because I have a similar question to ask like Rick asked. I got this edelweiss buttons together with this metal edelweiss for cap, so does this mean that these buttons were worn by Gebirgsjagers or not?I have never seen them, could they be used by some other German WWII allies and are the in fact really of German WWII origin?
                      I know this is a lot of questions in only one post, but every help is welcomed

Comment

Is this such a hard set of questions that no one knows the answers to or...

Comment

They are just typical buttons from the period, I have seen them used on GJ tunics and hats as replacements, these are almost identical to yours and from a Lot of a Signals Hauptmann in the 4th GJD.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you on your answer, so they are typical GJ buttons?I was affaid that they were civilian and not GJ. But they do not look like yours on the picture, but as you say there were many types. I am glad that they are without any doubt original WWII GJ and look very nice in the riker

Comment

The Edelweiss buttons are all civilian buttons, some were attached to military uniforms by individual soldiers as a personal touch. These are still made and worn today for use with traditional German dress.

http://www.buttondrawer.com/Fashion_...s.asp?SC_id=43

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X