Ethics Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics Question??

Hey guys, as you can see this is my first post here. I've been hanging out here for the better part of this year trying to learn as much as I can before jumping back into the hobby. The information I've learned already is amazing and I thank you all for that. I probably would have never gotten out of the hobby when I did had information been so readily available as it is now about fakes. Anyway, my question involves the ethics of asking the forum their opinions about the authinticity of a tunic that is advertised on a dealers website for sale before purchasing said item? Thanks, Alex

I don't see any problem with that. It is being done all the time on this forum...Tom

Comment

Always ask for input from other collectors. Do as much research as you can to make a educated decision when you purchase. Get to know who has the experience, and HOPEFULLY they will give you some pointers as to help you with your research. Buy the item ... never a story. Always inquire as to if there is a inspection period for purchase refund.

Finally be happy with YOUR decision when you make that final commitment to keep an item.

Good luck in your collecting!

Regards,
      Craig

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

Comment

That is what we are here for... to help one another. If you have a tunic for review, please post away!

Comment

Questions

Not really an ethical question?, although it may irritate dealers a great deal if something is askew with what they are selling. The purpose of the forum is to learn and expand knowledge of the hobby and th history of the items. I very much enjoy prevented people from buying junk and preventing dishonest dealers from "sticking it to the man". We never had websites back in the day or very good books and spent money on early BGS crap and bad fakes etc. The web is wonderful. By all means take advantage of the web and this website. Ask away, I love being distracted from what I am supposed to be doing.

Comment

Ethical??? Well put it this way would buy a vehicle without having your mechanic check it out first, would you have a title search done before buying to make sure there are no liens against it, that it wasn't a written off vehicle retreaved from a wrecking yard and fixed up and sold? An honest dealer would have no problem with a buyer checking out an item before buying but a dishonest dealer would cry foul and you didn't trust him and all kinds of whinning. I say yes it is ethical to get second oppinions before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
              Ethical??? Well put it this way would buy a vehicle without having your mechanic check it out first, would you have a title search done before buying to make sure there are no liens against it, that it wasn't a written off vehicle retreaved from a wrecking yard and fixed up and sold? An honest dealer would have no problem with a buyer checking out an item before buying but a dishonest dealer would cry foul and you didn't trust him and all kinds of whinning. I say yes it is ethical to get second oppinions before buying.
              absolutely correct and I rarely purchase anything without getting ATLEAST a second opinion from a member(s) that I know are very knowledgable in that particular area. even when you think something is 100%, guess what, many times it has been very carefully post war repaired or switched out. not always a major concern but if one is selling it as "untouched"... Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by craig a. thomas jr View Post
                Always ask for input from other collectors. Do as much research as you can to make a educated decision when you purchase. Get to know who has the experience, and HOPEFULLY they will give you some pointers as to help you with your research. Buy the item ... never a story. Always inquire as to if there is a inspection period for purchase refund.

Finally be happy with YOUR decision when you make that final commitment to keep an item.

Good luck in your collecting!

Regards,
                Craig

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
                Craig welcome back here

Comment

ethics

as a beginning collector you must get more than one opinion. There are unfortunately excellent fakes on the market and one must be very careful before making a somewhat substantial investment. It is your right to check it out and a serious dealer will also have absolutely no problem with that. It is horrible to view a collection of a proud collector to find that a large number of items are fakes. Try to find a serious collector in your area to show you the ropes. Internet can help but you must also hold the article in your hand for a close examination in most cases. We all have had "bad" buys but it is important not to dump this on another less experienced collector as is often done. In the small collecting community it is important to maintain a good name.

Comment

I know this has been said many times on the forums but....
                    Unless you know by experience, always check out the item you are looking to buy. Always ask and get in writting that if it isn't what it is supposed to be that you can return the item for a full refund. If the seller hedges about giveing a written refund walk away. Even if the seller gives you his word he will give a refund get it in writting because once you lay down your money the item is yours

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X