Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SdVB 288 patch - any good?

swaz & sun.
    Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 12-08-2007, 08:20 AM.

palm.

Comment

reverse.

Comment

Hello,

Here's a recent purchase and I hope its genuine. The oval portion of the square patch measures 100cm tall x 80cm wide or 2.5 " x 2".

I am grateful for any thoughts.

Thank you,

Christopher

Comment

Fake.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I concur with Bob. Heres a comparison with a known fake thats been out for a long time. WR Jim
            Attached Files

Comment

Negative view
              Attached Files

Comment

Patch

I agree it is a copy, not even a good one. You had the Italian tunic the other day too. Knowledge is power, read up before putting money on the table. It will save you a lot of pain in this hobby. Sorry to be harsh but knowing what is good or bad is the only way to develop a collection of good stuff and to build an investment in original items. 1000 dollars in reference books will pay for themselves in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                  I agree it is a copy, not even a good one. You had the Italian tunic the other day too. Knowledge is power, read up before putting money on the table. It will save you a lot of pain in this hobby. Sorry to be harsh but knowing what is good or bad is the only way to develop a collection of good stuff and to build an investment in original items. 1000 dollars in reference books will pay for themselves in a couple years.

Very sound advice from an advanced collector. From your Forum ID I assume you have a special interest in tropical. I would suggest the following books.

FIGUEROAS 2 books on tropical headgear and tunics
                  Dal McGuirks and Bob Kurtzs books on the Afrikakorp

The forum also has many great threads on the SVB Patch as well as every other aspect of tropical uniforms etc.

Don't get discouraged. In Dal McGuirks book he shows a repro SvB 288 patch. It happens to even the most advanced collectors. WR Jim

Comment

Books

Figueroas book is very good, (ISBN 1-929572-02-6). Some other really good ones that are full of color pictures are the first of the two volumes by Kurtz "Afrikakorps" (ISBN 0-7643-1920-5)and one that shows the italian tunic you as well as several other examples of tropical tunics but is harder to find-"AfrikaKorps: Tropical Uniforms of the German Army 1940-1945" by Scipion and Bastien published in English in France by Historie & Collections.

Comment

Fake SdVB patch.

Thank you all for your help. I feared that answer. It came from e-Bay and for a mere $227. Fortunately, the seller is being very decent about it.

Sticking to the refrence books is the only way to go. I thought I'd get some type of variant - cheap. No such luck! I have found a couple decent ones on the "Regimentals" site, albeit very pricey. I'll save up for one.

Best and thank you again,

Chistopher

Comment

No worries

At least you can send it back. You could have been hurt much worse than that or dealt with a prick that would not take it back. I believe a lot of the people selling on Ebay do not know they are selling fakes.

I think the best thing to do is buy straight stuff that is not a varient, odd, weird regardless of what you are told ie. late war production, French produced rare prototype, made in caves by forced labor without light to sew straight lines etc.

My golden rule in collecting WWII German is to walk away if there is just one question about an item.

Humans are really good at convincing themselves something is okay when we really know it most likely isnt. That is why so many of us got married. Just kidding.

Anyway. You have to do the commonsense Tao of Wehrmacht collecting and resist the impulse to buy a questionable item no matter how much you want it. Especially now when stuff is so expensive and the market is flooded with garbage.

Comment

Unfortunately Chris when it comes to these patches originals are very pricey. I do know of a collector with one for trade at the moment but he is only after a artillery soutached tropical cap and tropical artillery boards (no not just in exchange for the patch but these are the only things which he will be tempted to work out a trade for).
                          Tought to find cheap originals.

Mark

Comment

And as a side-note - Jim, I really admire your methodology. It is accurate, informative, and doesn't leave everyone feeling dis-satisfied with the " I don't like it because I don't like it" explanation.
                            Regards,
                            Mark.

Comment

Double post - for some reason.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X