Opinions on End Of War M44/45 Shoulder Straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on End Of War M44/45 Shoulder Straps

I just received these M44/45 straps and would like your comments.

Normally I would pass on a pair with this sort of button hole configuration but the rest of the straps seem good i.e. wool, twill and piping. The straps may be cottage produced, end of war straps explaining the button hole. The color and texture of the wool is exact same as a 44 dated M43 tunic I have.

Your opinions are welcome.

Steve

Nice set of signal M44s!

Comment

Can not tell from the photos, what type of material is the piping? Rayon? If so then most likely good ones, even with the straight slit stitch. I have some m44's with both a key hole button hole and a slit stitched hole on the same board.

Comment

poor quality,

Although late war configuration, I would like to see more quality, especially the very sloppy stitching of the piping and buttonholes turns me off, I’m looking for a set of M44 myself but if offered to me I would pass on these.

Comment

I agree on the quality comment but I have a M44 dated M43 tunic that is very sloppy in regard to its manufacture.

The straps have rayon piping. I have dozens of M44/45 shoulder straps and I have a few straps with key hole and slit button holes as well on the same strap.

Steve
          Last edited by airborne_steve; 06-20-2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Steve,
            Are these a more bluish top color wool and a more brownish tongue color wool. I see most often this combo. My guess is they are fine.
            Jerry

Comment

I would love to own these, I think that below standard quality pieces are to be expected at the end of the war, changing labor pool (forced labor), outsourcing contracts to (rural) cottage industries (as factories are getting bombed) etc... are valid reasons for that...
              I think too many collectors place too much emphasis on straight stitching, proper key hole shapes etc...
              Proper materials used and construction techniques are far more important than the quality when determining authenticity of a late war piece, late war being the reason or excuse for cutting corners, to save on construction time and raw materials! So frankly sloppyness is to be expected I would think! (just like airbornesteve's M43-M44 tunic remarks)
              But I agree there are good copies and this kind of stuff is becoming more and more tricky to authenticate unfortunately, but I like these! Congrats! Nick

Comment

Oh! by the way, these are piped in grass green, MT Toops.

Steve

Comment

buttonholes,

Originally posted by airborne_steve View Post
                  I agree on the quality comment but I have a M44 dated M43 tunic that is very sloppy in regard to its manufacture.

The straps have rayon piping. I have dozens of M44/45 shoulder straps and I have a few straps with key hole and slit button holes as well on the same strap.

Steve
                  You are right Steve, but look at the buttonholes, I guess you also never encountered buttonholes on tunics nor shoulder straps stitched this sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ostfries View Post
                    You are right Steve, but look at the buttonholes, I guess you also never encountered buttonholes on tunics nor shoulder straps stitched this sloppy.
                    Yes, the button holes are pretty bad true but the straps also have a fair amount of wear which have worn the threads making them look worse. I have seen some shoulder straps issued which had un-sewn button holes alltogeather.

You have a valid point and that was my first reaction to dismiss these as fakes.

This M43 tunic I'm reffering to. it is a very late dated 44 tunic and has the very dark grey, course wool just like the 44 shoulder straps I posted (the shoulder straps on this tunic are not the ones posted). It also has very crude, factory sewing generally speaking. However, the button holes are well sewn (but worn) which does contrast my shoulder straps in that respect.

Last edited by airborne_steve; 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Comment

Boards

Those look pretty crude, the button holes are hand sewn. All of the later boards I have seen are more like these. These are Vet pick-ups from a warehouse.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Back Close

Well sewn construction,
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tops

Tops
                            Attached Files

Comment

Close

Machine sewn button hole, your board looks darker, this photo is pretty close to the actual color of the boards and the typical late war "Field Grey". Hope this helps, you always depend on a leg.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X