Combat Mannequin Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combat Mannequin Help

I have a long term goal to put together a mannequin dispaly. I want it to be a typical WH combat soldier, without breaking the bank. This will be a long term project which I add items to as I can. It has to be historically correct and all original of course. Before I start looking for items I thought I would post here and at least one other section on WAF to get some ideas on what I might have to deal with and any other advice. I'm not up on most areas like uniforms or equipment. Any help would be great. I will list what I am planning and see what people think.

Headgear: I have a no decal M42 on the way which I can use. I want to use a combat helmet as this is an iconic item everyone is familiar with. Perhaps another helmet will be used if the one on the way is not suitable.

Uniform: For budgetary reasons I think I will build this set up around a great coat. There's no way I can afford a tunic. What should I look for in this item? Did these ever have insignia? I don't think they did and I would not want to add anything that had to be sewn on.

I think I will need something under the great coat such as a shirt or sweater. Are authentic items such as this available without breaking the bank? What are my options.

Pants: Haven't got a clue what to use here. Is there a half mannequin that could be used to avoid pants, and if not what would a basic pair consist of, if such a thing exists.

Boots: I guess just the basic high leather boots would be the answer. Any issues here?

Equipment: I know I will need a belt and army buckle. I see them for sale. Any minimum size required? I also think the Y straps would be good, but these seem more expensive than I thought they would be. What am I looking for here?

I plan to use K98 pouches as they still seem affordable. I can add other items as I go, which will be fun. I'm thinking a bread bag, a bayonet, a canteen and a gas mask canister for sure. Any tips here? Anything else?

I guess some sort of mannequin is also needed. Any ideas here?

Let me know if this is a realistic project and if it can be done without completly going bankrupt. Thanks, Steve

Steve, it sounds like you have realistic goals and I think you will not have a problem putting your mannequin together. A no decal M42 helmet is perfect. Heer greatcoats had no insignia but the shoulder straps and a rank chevron if needed. You might be able to find an EM or NCO coat with sewn in straps which would be good. Otherwise you might have to buy the straps seperately. Don't put a shirt or sweater under the coat. These items, if original, would be very expensive and may not be obtainable. If it was cold enough to wear a greatcoat, the soldier would wear a tunic as well, anyway. Pants are expensive... Maybe just skip the pants and boots for now and put the coat on a torso form on a stand. If you don't want to buy Y-straps use a rucksack or tornister with shoulder straps, these straps look like Y-straps from the front. The size of your mannequin with the coat will dictate the length of the belt you need. Some if not most are tiny and would be too small.

Comment

New mannequins can now be found on ebay for about $100. In the old days, a mannequin would be one of the hardest things to find. Some collectors insist on 100% original clothing on the mannequin right down to the underwear. My feeling is why bother if it is going to be covered by something else? Trousers may not show if the coat is long enough and the boots are high enough -- and trousers are at the $1000 mark anyway. I use fake baraclava and fake stick grenades tucked into the belt. I know some purists will take exception to that but the real stuff is very expensive and it is not what I collect but makes a neat impression. Be careful with footwear (boots). The original stuff is drying up and there are a lot of fakes.

Comment

Thanks. I'm liking the idea of a half mannequin with a head to avoid the pants and boots issue. I'll try a scarf or something around the neck to make that area complete. Any particular type of great coat or number on them to describe the great coat?

Comment

Hello again,
          About the great coat, you have three options :

1) Great coat with dark green collar produced from 1935 to 1940

2) Great coat with Feldgrau collar produced from 1940 to 1942

3) Great coat with Feldgrau enlarged collar produced from 1942/43 to 1945

(I tried to make it simple, but there are more technical details involved)
          ciao!

Comment

Thanks, nice to know what to look for.

Comment

Hello, when I started collecting I had the same dream. And yes the soldier was done about 3 year ago, here is the result. I might bring some ideas for you .

(sorry for the bad pics, but the light is not perfect in my bunker )

http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Hello Sander,
                very nice combat display...
                I love those NCOs carrying K98 rifle

Comment

That photo helps alot. Many good ideas there. Thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X