Help on GFP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on GFP

I am looking for information on the Geheime Feld Polizei (GFP). Would the GFP be a Heer or Polizei unit? and does anyone have photos to share of GFP collar tabs and shoulder straps and boards? Thanks

Hi Alan

I posted a few picts of a tunic here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...214609&page=11

The GFP was a Heer organization and wore the uniform of Heer officials, or their regular branch if temporarily assigned. All personnel fell into one of these groups:

Police officials conscripted to serve as GFP officials
    NCOs and EMs conscripted/transferred to serve as auxiliary officials
    NCOs and EMs conscripted/transferred as support personnel

Angolia Uniforms and Traditions of the Heer Vol. 2 addresses uniforms well. There is also some info in Vol 1. Most other books (Osprey books, etc) used the same info. Most of that info comes from Allied intelligence summaries on the GFP. Other than that, there was a book published by the East German Army on the subject in the 1980s and recently there was a journal publication on the senior GFP leadership.

Not much else available that I know of other than a few photos of boards. I have one photo of a GFP Leutnant, and the journal mentioned above has some photos that don't show much detail. The Luftwaffe also had a GFP organization which I believe began in 1943.

Best, J
    Last edited by schutzpolizei; 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM.

Comment

The other branches of the Wehrmacht had GFP elements as well. This set is from the Luftwaffe. The Luftwaffe GFP was established in 1943. I know that the Kreigsmarine had a similar organization, but I have not ever seen anything on it before.

Notice the wine red nebenfarbe. The Heer used silver "GFP" ciphers while the Luftwaffe used the gold toned ciphers, as seen here. This is the highest rank of the GFP in the Luftwaffe. It is for an Oberfeldpolizeidirektor. I do not know how many men wore this paygrade, but I am sure that there were not more than a few. If anyone knows anything about the senior GFP members in the Luftwaffe, please let me know!

Hey Schutzpolizei,

I would love to see some closeups of that tunic(the shoulder boards and collar tabs). It is cool how they look so closely like the Legal officials. I think that the most commonly overlooked area is the collar insignia. I beleive that with the legal officials, the two parallel center cords are in green while with the GFP, the center two cords are powder blue, like the outer piping. Also, I believe that(correct me if I am wrong) that the colored thread in the russian braid is also in light blue versus the green normally seen.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PaulR; 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X