Period photo of Combat knife in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period photo of Combat knife in use

I think I recall seeing a period photo of a ss trooper wearing a boot knife clipped to his smock where it ties up. Can anyone out there post it or any other period photos of the boot/combat in use they can post?Thanks in advance.

Fred

Knife

There is German film that was captured that has a series of pictures of several SS men around destroyed american equipment during the battle of the bulge. This is what I think you are talking about. I remember the knife hanging out of one's jacket, one also has a colt 45 and they are smoking lucky strikes. If I remember correctly most of them were killed right after the movie was made and the US had stills of them on the ground still with the cigarettes around them.

Comment

photo

He is a still from the movie. It is well known and in several books. The guy in the center wearing the belt has a knife hanging out of his coat under his chin. Weird place to carry the knife you couldn't yank out the blade with it clipped on cloth. This whole episode, there is about 10 minutes of them walking past burning US vehicles etc. was appearently staged for the camera.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
        He is a still from the movie. It is well known and in several books. The guy in the center wearing the belt has a knife hanging out of his coat under his chin. Weird place to carry the knife you couldn't yank out the blade with it clipped on cloth. This whole episode, there is about 10 minutes of them walking past burning US vehicles etc. was appearently staged for the camera.
        That's one of the photos I was thinking of. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Few more pics..

Jos.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

same Film

There are also pictures of these guys dead. I think the post-jovial lucky strike smoking photos are in a time life book on the war that came out in the mid-1970s. They were all killed very shortly after the film was made, another danger of smoking and not paying attention to the eastern woodline.

Comment

I think that's a Browing High Power he's holding. From what I've read, some SS and paras were issued the HP. The paras especially liked the high capacity magazines of the HP's for obvious reasons, Ray

Comment

Heres a good shot of a fighting knife in combat mounted on an ammo pouch. Bill
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi power

SS got the bottom of the barrel for sidearms, Radoms, and HP (althught the HP is a good weapon) he was an MG gunner or an AG based on the him wearing the belt and the tool pouch and like all MG's would have been issued a sidearm. No one has the photos of these guys after they were killed? Laying in the snow with cigarettes all over them? I know there are photos. The knife is gone in the photos but it is him.

Comment

Interesting - a photo from late '44, and the guy on the right appears to be wearing a mint M35 helmet with a droop-tail eagle .

Scott
                      Attached Files

Comment

Film

here is the link to part of the film, should have thought about you tube before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJSoOWvIQ9g

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X