No announcement yet.

GD shoulderboards sos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no gap that I can see...doubtful boards in my opinion.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbz View Post
      I see a gap, it is hard to see, but it is there. This is a good sign. The embroidery looks like the strap on the bottom left of page 254 of Vol 1 in Scott Pritchett's GD book. I have no issues with the backside material. There are many similar examples in the reference books. It is common to fashion straps from scraps from the same bolt of material. The piping looks ok too. There are other positive indicators as well.
      Thank you for the positive comment, but I still cannot see the gap, could you mark it on the photo?

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbz View Post
        I see a gap, it is hard to see, but it is there. This is a good sign. The embroidery looks like the strap on the bottom left of page 254 of Vol 1 in Scott Pritchett's GD book. I have no issues with the backside material. There are many similar examples in the reference books. It is common to fashion straps from scraps from the same bolt of material. The piping looks ok too. There are other positive indicators as well.
        Hi Brooks, do you mean these gaps?

Comment

wat i see is that the two parts are first stitched up together,as one part then sitched up the upper part with the rayon piping. Seem logical in proces of making them. That the two part arent not from different material that would not diclosure them as undoubtfal fakes. if you look in manufactering army clothing there where certainly batches of the same cloth and leftovers. The bi-material of different clothes exist aswel . its a tough call to say at least. the GD sign is it a bit loose ? personaly i dont like hard and tight embroidery that is more the work of modern day machines

Comment

I don't know about the rest of the points but the piping looks a fine original to me, made of rayon.

Here is a tropical artillery board that i have in my collection for comparison.
            Attached Files
            sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Yes Post 18 shows the gap. Typically the gap is hard to see with the naked eye, so I use a loupe. I usually you have to fold the board lengthwise to see it clearly.

Comment

These straps are reproductions (imo), gap or no gap.

Comment

Am not sure what the gap can or cannot prove?

Comment

If the boards are repros then the piping used is an original one or they managed to copy it so well too?

Comment

straps

The piping, material and thread all look original or very convincing, but in image 11 three things jump out as repro: the rounded ends are not symmetric and smoothly executed; the stitching on the right side of the one strap wanders TWICE near the piping and on BOTH straps the piping turns in and ends at different lengths on both sides. It is very easy to say these are nicely made but still reproductions to me.

Comment

the embroidery can ore could be added after-war on an original epaulet.Maybe some other members have orginal embroierd ones to share and to compare ? I wonder if under te embroiery isn't some cardboard in same form of GD . This is often done and worked around back then ? maybe with an needle you can pusch gently the yarns a bit away and see whats is under there ? yust a tought ?

Comment

Many thanks for all your educational opinions, much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by pak 40 View Post
                            the embroidery can ore could be added after-war on an original epaulet.Maybe some other members have orginal embroierd ones to share and to compare ? I wonder if under te embroiery isn't some cardboard in same form of GD . This is often done and worked around back then ? maybe with an needle you can pusch gently the yarns a bit away and see whats is under there ? yust a tought ?
                            Interesting idea. I didn't think of that. It's very possible that the initials were added later on original boards. That would explain the original rayon piping. So far i haven't seen a reproduction piping being identical with the original rayon pattern.

Comment

I must give credit where credit is due. Bill Shea has undertaken to honor his COA and take the straps back. J

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                                I must give credit where credit is due. Bill Shea has undertaken to honor his COA and take the straps back. J
                                Then he is a gentleman

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X