Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Coats Shoulder Boards

Hallo,
    Can someone tell me why some great coats have no shoulder boards.
    I mean some great coats have no loops or buttons to attach shoulder boards.
    Are they late war?
    regards,
    TVD
    Last edited by TVD; 02-09-2007, 05:00 AM.

I thought they were all made with shoulder board loops and buttons...???

Comment

I have seen many original greatcoats with no shoulder loops or buttons. Perhaps they were removed postwar. I wonder if anyone has any photos of soldiers wearing greatcoats without shoulder boards?

Comment

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
        I thought they were all made with shoulder board loops and buttons...???

I always thought that as well as it showed rank (military types anyway). I have seen some leather officer types with no shoulder board loops or buttons and I thought they were perhaps post war.

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I had a unissued luftwaffe greatcoat. It had no buttons or loops for boars. It was a mid-war coat.

Comment

I also have a mid-war Luftwaffe greatcoat, also without buttons or loops. Mine is worn and is dated 1943.

Comment

Shoulder Board

I Tnink The Main Reason That There Re No Shoulder Board Buttons Was That Overcoats Were Organizational Issue. Members Of A Unit Were Issued The Overcoat In Winter And It Was Put In Thw Units Storage In Summer. We Had A Similar Situation With Field Jackets In Th Usmc. I Haave A New Unissued Overcoat With No Boards Or Provision For Such. The Unit Tailor Probably Applied The Boards For The Specific Unit. Also, Most Pre War Photos Show The Boards As Permanently Attacched Not Slip On. Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TONY GANZ View Post
                I Tnink The Main Reason That There Re No Shoulder Board Buttons Was That Overcoats Were Organizational Issue. Members Of A Unit Were Issued The Overcoat In Winter And It Was Put In Thw Units Storage In Summer. We Had A Similar Situation With Field Jackets In Th Usmc. I Haave A New Unissued Overcoat With No Boards Or Provision For Such. The Unit Tailor Probably Applied The Boards For The Specific Unit. Also, Most Pre War Photos Show The Boards As Permanently Attacched Not Slip On. Tony
                Hello
                Quite right.
                Greatcoat were issued to all soldiers so they received provision for the shoulder boards. Overcoat ( with the 4 pockets) were not issued with it ,if they are present ,that is because they were field added and not from the factory.
                Best Regards
                Pierre-Yves

Comment

many thanks for the response guys,
                  I myself have a LW greatcoat (two pockets) without loops or buttons.
                  It 's early-war and worn. I can't find any signs that buttons or loops were removed.
                  regards
                  TVD

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X