Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Style Piped Infantry Major's Tunic

Hi All -

Just aquired this tunic and I wanted opinions. I believe the award loops are replaced as they seem too new, and there are remannts of a different colored thread near three of the loops. The eagle has been reattached - twice - once it was sewn through the lining. Now, it has been very carefully hand sewn. There is a Gepr******252;ft stamp to the second company/115th Infantry Regiment inside the flap of the right breast pocket.

As always, any and all comments appreciated!

Don
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DonC; 02-06-2007, 11:00 AM.

Reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

Interior...
      Attached Files

Comment

Both shoulderboards have removed 3-digit numerals and have the screw-post attachments. They are very tightly sewn in, and I cannot get my pinkie anywhere close to the ends from underneath - the bullion does seem a little "snug" to the seam - opinions?
        Attached Files

Comment

Geprüft stamp...
          Attached Files

Comment

Insignia...
            Attached Files

Comment

Armpit lining - different thread near the boards, but no alarming black light glow - promotion, or post-war add ons???
              Attached Files

Comment

Don,

Thank you for posting the tunic. From the photographs I have concerns about the shoulder boards. Their fit seems to push upwards, and I suspect are replacements. Possible period upgrade, but judging from the other things you describe makes me a bit concerned. Also, the interior looks to be re-sewn in the shoulders (top portion at the sleeve).

Thanks,

Frank

Comment

Hi Frank -

You are correct about the re-sewing, as I mentioned in the post on the seams.

Don

Comment

Originally this was probably a EM or NCO tunic as characterized by the gepruft stamp. I would also guess that if originally made as an ornamented field bluse that the piping would have been down the front placket only and not around the collar. One or both areas of piping may have been added after it was made and you may be able to tell if you look closly.

Some of these old style piped tunics (field bluses actually) were "updated" by thier owners in the post 1937 timeframe by the addition of piping on the collar and cuffs to bring them more into line with the new piped tunics.

This example could have been promoted during the period to reflect the rank promations of the owner. It would have to had at least 3 sets of boards on it to include the present ones. There were certainly NCOs in the mid 1930s who made the rank of Major before war's end.

Comment

Thanks, Phil and Frank, for your input - I can't see that the collar piping has been added, but that is not something that I have looked for before - the coloration and wear seems consistent with the rest of the insignia - it matches very nicely. I've seen several officer tunics with collar piping and none on the cuffs - all were old-style tunics. An interesting tunic, to say the least!

Don

Comment

What are all the spots under the collar?
                        Was there other tabs on it?
                        Dave
                        DaveJ

Comment

Hi Dave -

I think that the tabs may well have been re-sewn, but the white stuff is actually some minor mothing with a little lint thrown in for good measure...

Don

Comment

An NCO to come up through the ranks and to not have any medal loops after so many years of service? In post #6 it seems apparent where the NCO Tresse was placed.

Comment

Hi Rolf -

It did have original medal loops - it loks like they were torn or boken - there are still threads near the "new" loops from the old ones that were not completely removed - two sets of loops now are in the same location as the old ones - the third set, on the viewer's right, I can find no evidence of loops having been there before.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X