Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
    You and me both!

Thanks for posting the photo. This is the only one I have ever seen. The blue cloth is a first for me as well!

In the background...the Coastal Arty tunic seems to have the type of pockets I have seen on the Swiss re-enactors tunics. Could be the angle of the photo...
    I noticed that too! I bet it was a sweedish...

Comment

[quote=Chap15;1829007]
      Originally posted by Chris Liontas View Post
      The stahl has swasticas on itquote]

Chris, wow, I thought that is how you all spell and talk up there in the great white. Is swasticas also the German spelling too for swastikas???

How about a little Latin and French...
      The word Chaplain has its roots in the Latin word "cappa," meaning cloak. French clerics accompanying military forces to battle wore distinctive capes called "capella". Eventually these clergy were called "chapelains," hence the American word Chaplain. <O></O>

I looked in my German Christian Movement for swastikas (or swasticas) on stoles or stahls and I did not see any. My German stole from my grouping is very soiled as is other WWII US stoles I have. The one at the SOS seems too clean, almost like part of a curtain.
      Gotta have the last word dont you Bob? You just love to poke me in the eye dont you? Gotta show the world how smart you are; well fine, go ahead. Why you even had to piont that out is beyond me..but the heck with it. I am too busy to put up with this and besides I am just sick of getting poked by you every time I post. The forum is yours Bob, you can be the chaplain "expert" I am done here...

Comment

This Uniform Appears To Be The Same One I Saw For Sale By A Canadian Dealer A Few Years Back. I Did Not Like It Then And I Do Not Like It Now.

Comment

[quote=Chris Liontas;1829171]
          Originally posted by Chap15 View Post

Gotta have the last word dont you Bob? You just love to poke me in the eye dont you? Gotta show the world how smart you are; well fine, go ahead. Why you even had to piont that out is beyond me..but the heck with it. I am too busy to put up with this and besides I am just sick of getting poked by you every time I post. The forum is yours Bob, you can be the chaplain "expert" I am done here...
          Wow Chris, I take it back. Sorry my friend. You know a bit about German Chaplains. This forum is big enough for the two of us (and more chaplain collectors if they are out there). Never thought of myself as an expert on German chaplains. Hope you stick around.

Comment

A friend of mine has a stole with swastikas. The background is that it came from a POW camp in the US.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post

Where was I one year ago?, o yes I was at home with my beautiful wife .
              And thank god for that. If not, you would have been to the sos and maybe you would have ended up with this hip hop tunic.

Best wishes on your sos tour!!

/André

Comment

Odd, I would not expect a stole (or anything else) worn in a POW camp in the US to have a swastika on it. It was my understanding that wear of the swastika was forbidden by all POWs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Melvin View Post
                  Odd, I would not expect a stole (or anything else) worn in a POW camp in the US to have a swastika on it. It was my understanding that wear of the swastika was forbidden by all POWs.
                  hi Jack,

Here is some info from the Camp Shelby, Miss. website:

POWs were allowed to keep their uniforms for ceremonial occasions such as funerals and holidays. These uniforms, however, had already seen much wear. For everyday wear, POWs wore black or khaki shirts and pants with the letters "PW" stenciled in paint on each leg. Winter clothes were wool jackets and pants. Athletic shorts and shirts were issued for games.

Heres a picture showing a funeral at the Camp Shelby POW camp. The eagle on the left was made by POWs at the Camp Alva OK POW Camp.wr Jim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jim, you reminded me about the memorials that are still at Shelby. I remember seeing them. A funny story related to Shelby, the German POWs were allowed to garden to pass their time. So, they planted a bunch of bushes. Nobody realized until an aeriel photo was taken that they had shaped the garden like a Swastika!

Comment

3. The stahl has swasticas on it........
                      Chris,
                      Glad to see you haven't taken off.
                      Check this out, a friend sent it to me.
                      Funny, they call a stole, a "stola"
                      http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stola_(...ische_Kleidung
                      That is, if we can trust wikpedia instead of an online translation.

Comment

stahl as I understand, traslated from German to English is stole.
                        the translations are quite interesting. A german speaking collegue has stated to me that very few german words have direct translations into english, there are lots of variations, babelfish for instance cannot be trusted.

Note: a stahlhelm translates to a "stealing helmet"

stahl according to Leo Kessler "Charles Whiting" was german for steel

Comment

Fake crucifix

Hi,
                          This is listed as "a confirmed 100% real ww2 german army chaplain crucifix"
                          Its marked on the backside with "germany"! In english??

Comment

+1

Comment

Hello collector I am urgently looking for everything from German chaplains.

Please send me a message if you have something.

I am looking for urgently everything to pastors in the 2 WK

Thanks, friends

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X