Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Tabs

Hello,

I've owned these since 1975 but have no idea if they are original or their value.

Opinions appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim:
    The proportions look a bit squatty and wide on the tabs themselves. Wool piping is rather thick. The skulls look 100%. For some reason all I get is the front side and a just a peek at the scan of the backsides. Reverse looks somewhat unusual as well, if I see what I think I see, ie, if the pink wool covers the reverse completely, that is unusual in my book. However, all the materials look authentic. Tabs are unued I'd say, but may be a private purhase version.
    Wade may come up on the net with an opinion.
    The fake business on these was in full swing in 1975. Hard to say without a better look, but they raise doubts in my mind. If original, one can look to spend between $350-$500 for a matching set, depending on who is trying to sell them.
    Scott
    CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott,

Don't know why you're not getting the full back scan. While the front appears to match on both, the backs are different. One is completely covered in the pink cloth the other is not.

I got them from a WWII vet who had a bunch of them. It appears they were never applied.

Seems to be good news, at least on the skulls.

Thanks again for your input.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

Got on a different computer - was on a laptop. I see teh whole deal now. Don't like the backs for two reasons: the way and to the extent the wool is folded and the buckram backing does not look right. Backing usually had a resin glue like applied that made it stiffen up some. Also do not like that the WWII vet "had a bunch of them". Still, they could be tailor made.
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Jim
          I have a pair of reproduction tabs that look very similar to yours.

The matting on mine is to thick compared to an original Pz collar tab.

These photos might help you to compare.

These were around in the late 70's in England.

Mark

[ 11 September 2001: Message edited by: MStevens ]

Comment

Hi Jim,
            would have to agree with some of the guys. I think that unless these have some kind of provinance they are probably repro. The skulls look good but the way the Waffenfarbe piping is folded back and unevenly trimmed at the back, and the lack of stitching showing it's attachment looks very sloppy to me. The size is a matter for concern too, with the length being rather squat. Whilst there are handmade examples that can look like this, they are very rarely encountered. These are also unused, with there being no stitching holes showing previous use. That is also cause for concern.

Hope that's of some help.
            Cheers, Wade K.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input. I don't normally collect collar tabs. These were a early purchase in my collecting career.

The old man had a bunch of these packed in paper with twine around them. I assumed at the time that this was the original packaging. I also got a SS EM belt buckle and an Italian SS visor cap eagle. Both of these items were good. I sold the Italian SS eagle several years ago but still have the SS buckle. The only info I got was he got them "in the war".

My thoughts are, that if they are original they are late war from a smaller supplier.
              Was just curious as I have them on display. I hate to display repo stuff!

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

I'm not a big cloth expert, but I have seen enough undeniably authentic examples to be very leery of these...

Comment

I have a few wrappers and have seen many more in collections where they are 100% from private people... I dont like the shape (tad to short) and really thick piping on the top set, they are nothing like I have ever seen and wouldnot chance any money on them.

Comment

I have a few wrappers and have seen many more in collections where they are 100% from private people... I dont like the shape (tad to short) and really thick piping on the top set, they are nothing like I have ever seen and wouldnot chance any money on them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X