Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Pattern Tropical Tunic in Tunisia 1942

Hi Team.
    I'm opening this thread so as to free up another which is becoming sided tracked.
    In part I introduced these photos, taken 20th November 1942 in Reggio di Calabria, of a member of 1/schwer Pz Abt 501 en route to Tunis.
    The photo clearly shows the central figure (identified as T/O Roth) wearing a 3rd pattern tropical tunic, with up-graded insignia..
    This of course runs against the dogma that these tunics were not seen in N.Africa until early 1943.
    I've always had a soft spot for these underated tunics (just not as stylish as 1st patterns)
    Anyway, I'll throw this one out there for discussion for those who haven't viewed the thread relating to tropical sidecaps with soutache. (Well worth it's own spotlight, I think!)
    Enjoy!
    Mark.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mark, I will get the ball rolling ;

1/ are we sure that the date is 20/Nov/42 and that this is not a replacement draft for 501 sent in 1943 ?

2/ can you make the thing any bigger on the jacket shoulder seam which is in question ?

Many thanks and boy would I love to be able to see clearly what model tunic the officer on the left who is waving his hand is wearing,

Chris
      Last edited by 90th Light; 12-13-2006, 05:23 AM.

Comment

the following picture is attributed to sPzAbt.501 in tunisia.Look at the 3 soldiers standing directly in front of the drivers hatch. Oops I didn't read the whole thread, sorry. This pic was taken in 43. So it doesn't pertain.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by djpool; 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

NOW A CLOSER SHOT.The 2 soldiers to the right are wearing 2d models.The soldier to the left seems to be wearing a 3d model.
          Attached Files

Comment

in sepia
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but whenever I mount a tropical tunic, on a mannequin, I seem to get the wrinkles from the collar to armpit. This photo demonstrates what I am talking about.

Bob Hritz
              Attached Files
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hi All,
                Thanks for the extra pics Jim, they are excellent.
                Bob, very nice tunic! I'd like to see more of it? My tunics tend to crease in that same manner also
                Chris, The photos were taken by a surviving member, it seems, (W. Schneider) who names another of the idividuals in the photo (arm waving) as Oberleutnant Pohl. I would think that the dates are correct. The 1/abt 501 arrived in Tunis on the 22nd Nov 1942. Fairly specific.
                I'll try to clearly enlarge that mystery crease.
                Mark.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NZMark; 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Mark,

I dabble in a few army tropical tunics.

Bob Hritz
                  Attached Files
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                    Mark,

I dabble in a few army tropical tunics.

Bob Hritz
                    DABBLE??

Comment

I agree, very nice tunics Bob. wow Mark, I love checking out the faces on your Dudes. I can only hope I will possess such a masterpiece one day. theyre sooooo real, sort of scary. Glenn

Comment

From looking at period pics it appears that the tropical tunics tended to bunch up in the shoulder area. These are just a few of many pics showing the effect. From only one picture of the tunic in question I can't say its a seam. But I'm no expert either. WR jim
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X