Weird Overseas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Overseas Cap

This was too weird to pass up. High quality wool in a medium blue (darker and less gray than Luftwaffe blue, and lighter and less "black" than Navy) with gray piping. The edges of the tricolor ribbon were metallic silver or gilt but are now green with verdigris.

The style reminds me of American veteran's organization hats. The vet I got it from absolutely insisted that he'd brought it back at the end of W.W.2., and every other item he had was legit. However, I'd love some validation from somebody who has seen this insignia or usage before. Better yet, how about an ironclad i.d?

How about this---is the ribbon width metric or ... could this be something made in the US of A for a German-American WWI veterans group? They existed.

It looks "American" to me ....

Comment

I agree with the American "look", at least so far as the placement of the insignia is concerned. That's why I grilled the guy about where he got it. However, the cap is consistent with those of several wartime German military and paramilitary organizations.

Ribbon is 1 1/16" or 26.5 mm, so inconclusive. However, the edge is of the European, not American, style.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X