Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How best to clean/preserve equipment items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How best to clean/preserve equipment items?

I would like some advice on how best to go about cleaning and preserving metal, leather and cloth items which i've recently found. Most of all a nice M35 helmet with 60% of its eagle intact and still has most of the green/white camouflage paint. The liner has rotten away and theres an awful lot of rust, i'm worried about damaging the fragile paintwork.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Simon
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

I would do nothing to the helmet unless the shell was starting to pit. If the leather's rotting there's nothing you can do to help it. You can restore it somewhat by putting another thin layer of leather behind it, if you choose to go that route. Me, I'd leave it alone, put it on my shelf and enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

Perry, how do you display your helmets? They are quite the space takers.

Seba
      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

I converted a walk in closet for my helmets, shelving all the way up.And if needed you can install a locking door knob. Any uniforms are in hard rubbermaid type boxes mothballed.

Comment

This subject came up a few weeks ago, I emailed the web master of a German Helmet web site who informed me to use warm water and liquid dish soap with a soft cloth. He suggested "Percards Antique Leather" treatment. I followed his directions and the helmet came out great. The leather darkened slightly but restored the crumbling leather fantastically. He suggested spraying the helmet with lemon pledge.(which I haven't done) One thing not to do is use Naval Jelly on the helmet. I used naval jelly on a very rusted WWI "tommy" helmet and it removed the heavy rust, but on a m35 combat it streaked the paint (by removing invisable surface rust) now it may take a year or so for the streaks to go away. I applied the percards to all my helmets and the leather is in great shape. Do not use saddle soap.

Comment

Oops - posted a new topic instead of a reply - See Pecards topic regarding my experience with this material. Basically seconded Jaime's reply - it works great.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Simon
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello Simon. I can also vouch for Pecard. Pure lanolin is better on light colored leather because it will not darken it.

Regarding corrosion: active rust will eventually destroy your piece. I gently brush away any more or less loose rust with a brass brush (or a soft bristle brush is the paint is in jeopardy. Then i spray the metal with a "dry" lube/metal protectant such as LPS III. Moisture-displacing treatments of this type will stop active rust in cases where it is impractical to remove it. It is safe on baked enamel finishes, but should be tested first on a small area if it is being used on overpaint, just in case.

Comment

For more info on conservation of metal items, see the recent posts on care & cleaning under "General Discussion" at www.delphi.com/n/main.asp, the Bayonet Collectors Connection Forum.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X