Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreta cuff title

Hi,
    comments please on this title obtained from old collection 20 years ago i know this means little,its stange in that the back does not fold over as is commonly seen its it real or repro comments most welcome,
    Merdock

back

Comment

Hi Merdock,

The first thing that catched my eye is the text being off-centre.

The cloth isn't the smooth feeling texture that's supposed to be.

The base of the characters is slightly different from the ones I know.

The reversed side of the characters looks convincing in structure.

Could be a variation, but IMHO i'd say, no go

But I could be wrong, one's never to old to learn !

Comment

Hi, just looked at the thread myself not sure whats happened but the scans look nothing like the band and i have it in my hand right now the cloth is very smoth the structure of the cloth is barly noticable to the naked eye certainly not as exagerated as in the scans and the letters and bolders are gold not yellow.
        Merdock

Comment

Hi Merdock,

Just took a picture of one of my cuff-titles.

This one is from a Konvolut that belonged to a Heeresbergfuehrer. It was awarded to him on 31-dec-1942 (award-document and Soldbuch) when he was a Leutnant.

Note that the text is centered and the cloth is of a much finer structure.

Again, I could be mistaken about your cuff-title as it might be a variation.

Greetings,
          Bart

Comment

Hi GJR100!
            Can you compare it (Merdock´s one) with the other Kreta cufftitle reciently posted by me in another thread?. I find them very similar (text shape, leaves...).
            I´m not an expert, but from a quick look, Merdock´s cufftitle doesn´t show the distinct diagonal weave pattern. According to Pritchett´s article the cotton must be matt off-white and the weave must be tightly made, "displaying a diagonal brick-like pattern that runs horizontally along the length of the band"...
            Regards

Comment

Hi Óscar,

I've put the three together and resized them to be able to better compare them.

Yours:

Merdock's:

Mine:

- As you can see, yours almost fills the total band, there should be a little more space between the leaves and the boarders.

- Both yours and Merdock's have a more rude weave in comparison to mine.

- The characters don't have the same thickness.

- Your band looks more grey than off-white. (possible due to lighting)

- Your characters seem more yellow than golden. (might also be due to lighting)

I hope this helps,

Bart

Comment

Thanks for your help, GJR100.
                Through the comparison and your comments, things are seen much better (I mean, fakes...). I´m realising my cufftitle may be a fake

Regards. Óscar

Comment

Hi All,
                  What do you think about this one?
                  Attached Files
                  Terry Keller
                  "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                  Rammstein

Comment

Here's the back. The front white is real silky feeling, back is much cleaner than front and has some of the stitching backing cloth present. What do you all think?
                    Attached Files
                    Terry Keller
                    "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                    Rammstein

Comment

another

:
                      -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Am not a cufftitle expert, but I have a few originals. The detail of the lettering on both the front and reverse of Merdocks is superb! That is what I focus on. To me, the thickness of the "legs" on the "A" is crucial. And, the dual color thread contruction of the reverse. I do not know enough about what the weave of the base fabric should be. I do know that most FJ collectors prefer the RBNred cufftitles and see them as the norm and the safest ones to own. Clearly, there are many variations.

Willi
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here's mine;
                          Attached Files

Comment

Stamp on back
                            Attached Files

Comment

Have honestly no idea if the Kreta is good, but the FJ one is.
                              Both come from the wodow of a FJ
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X