HG Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HG Experts

I am looking at purchasing a HG LW tunic. Is it conventional wisdom that all of these were marked to the HG unit on the inside, or are there many examples that just have the standard LBA markings and no evidence of HG markings inside?
    Does anyone have an example of an original, white-piped HG LW tunic that has no HG markings inside?

Thanks in advance, Doug

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe that some HG tunics have only LBA markings. My HG tunic(white-piped service tunic) has only LBA marking, and one of Peter Whamond's HG tunics on his list has also size and LBA markings only(while the other one, which was sold, has unit marking).

Comment

unmarked HG tunics

I've got two unmarked examples.

The first is a privately purchased wrap tunic made by Peek & Cloppenbug KG. It's got the label in it, and all the HG insignia, but no stamps.

The second is a Fliegerblouse that still has the tag on it. Again, all the HG insignia, but is unissued and has no stamps.

In my opinion, if it is in unissued condition, or privately purchased, it doesn't hurt you.

Otherwise, look for and expect stamps.

Good luck.
      Chad

Comment

My HG tunic is an issue one, which shows moderate use. I've just examined it more throughly and found that it has a HG unit marking beside the LBA and size markings. The unit marking had faded that I missed it at first glance . So, I think Chad is right on the stamp issue.
        Last edited by nakta; 07-17-2006, 05:34 AM.

Comment

So I take it you do not like the one on Peter Whammond's site that has just LBA markings but no HG markings???

Comment

HG clothing can be like other units, it may be marked and it may not be. The problem is determining how long the insignia has been on a piece even if it's HG marked. People used to strip Signals and Flak tunics and turn them into HG and other more rare units, and some people have restored HG marked pieces but don't admit they did. Sometimes they did a great job and other times they look crappy. So you must have the item in question in your hands for close inspection so that a detailed analysis can be accomplished.
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene
              HG clothing can be like other units, it may be marked and it may not be. The problem is determining how long the insignia has been on a piece even if it's HG marked. People used to strip Signals and Flak tunics and turn them into HG and other more rare units, and some people have restored HG marked pieces but don't admit they did. Sometimes they did a great job and other times they look crappy. So you must have the item in question in your hands for close inspection so that a detailed analysis can be accomplished.
              I agree,many HG tunics show up,but I think less are original,but that's because many people want exotic stuff,so,"tell me what you want and you'll have it next week"..
              I've seen hundreds of tunics and I can tell you that if the right person has the right stuff to create a exotic jacket no expert can tell when it's done...unfortunately.
              Nowadays certain people are specialized in doing such thing,they buy everything related,virgin jackets which had no eagle,era thread,buttons etc. and top tailors are doing the work.
              Especially these days this is easy,'cause prices are mega high,so the mob is very interested in your money.
              I haven't seen many original HG jackets in my life,but it seems there're many around.
              Think twice,and if you want one buy a known or obvious original,otherwise buy a stripped Fliegerbloese or 4 pocket tunic and rebuild one yourself,it'll save you a lot of money that way.

Jos.

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
                Generally speaking, the RGG/HG would unit mark their issue uniforms during the pre-war period. Once the war started, general proceedures went by the wayside. In other words, I would generally expect to see regimental markings on a RGG tunic and less likely to see them on an HG tunic. I would not allow the existence or non-existance of markings determine whether or not I would buy an item. I think it can impact the price if everything is there and matches though.
                I disagree with alot of the discussion that it is difficult to identify a put-together RGG/HG uniform. With any old uniform, there are certain issues which must be consistant.
                I had listed on the Forum an early RGG tunic to a 'Spiess' which came from George Petersen's personal collection. It was the one sold on the Collector's Guild last year. I don't think enough people here really know what they are, or what they should be looking for.
                Thank you,
                Curtiss

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X