No announcement yet.

KM Tunic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Leroy the only KM collector out there willing to comment???

Comment

Just me, whistling in the dark again.
      Tress IS supposed to be of uniform width. I have not personally compared sleeve to sleeve on different KM tunics for this. Nor have I really looked for differences or seen any on a naval tunic which struck me as being a "wrong" size. However, that being said, I HAVE seen some sleeve stripes on wartime British RAF tunics which varied from the norm. I mention this only because all British tress is supposed to be, by regulation, the same. If the RAF could tolerate this, why not the KM?
      I really do hope I'm not the only KM collector out here (in fact, I know for sure I'm not).
      I believe the "Uniform and Insignia of the Kriegsmarine" book series states the regulation width for tress. Might be interesting to see if the Bundesmarine specifies a different size.

Comment

Doug, my first felling is that it doesn’t like to me, not WW2 time IMO. If I had this tunic in my hands I would look the following details.

1.- The eagle is hand sewn, and really bad done, so I would take out it and look for any trace of shadow to see if this tunic has have the eagle for time. Is there any trace of the carer emblem on the cuffs?
        2.- I would look for any trace, outside and inside, of the 5th button. After 50-60 years you have to see something.
        3.- The buttons are not the normal ones used for a private purchase officer tunic.
        4.- The maker label is the first time I have seen, is true that there many, but for me is new and without date, very unusual.
        5.- About the tress rings you have to see in your hands, but if they are identical to the tress on your post-war tunic, definitively I don’t like it.

I hope this could help you.
        Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
        Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy
          Tress IS supposed to be of uniform width. I have not personally compared sleeve to sleeve on different KM tunics for this. Nor have I really looked for differences or seen any on a naval tunic which struck me as being a "wrong" size. However, that being said, I HAVE seen some sleeve stripes on wartime British RAF tunics which varied from the norm. I mention this only because all British tress is supposed to be, by regulation, the same. If the RAF could tolerate this, why not the KM?
          I really do hope I'm not the only KM collector out here (in fact, I know for sure I'm not).
          I believe the "Uniform and Insignia of the Kriegsmarine" book series states the regulation width for tress. Might be interesting to see if the Bundesmarine specifies a different size.
          Also Leroy, the tress was found in the pocket. I have also found Mars Bars wrappers and modern asprin in WH tunics, It does not mean it came from the war period.
          Iam Uncle Sam
          That’s who Iam
          Been hiding out
          In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain
            Doug, my first felling is that it doesn’t like to me, not WW2 time IMO. If I had this tunic in my hands I would look the following details.

1.- The eagle is hand sewn, and really bad done, so I would take out it and look for any trace of shadow to see if this tunic has have the eagle for time. Is there any trace of the carer emblem on the cuffs?
            2.- I would look for any trace, outside and inside, of the 5th button. After 50-60 years you have to see something.
            3.- The buttons are not the normal ones used for a private purchase officer tunic.
            4.- The maker label is the first time I have seen, is true that there many, but for me is new and without date, very unusual.
            5.- About the tress rings you have to see in your hands, but if they are identical to the tress on your post-war tunic, definitively I don’t like it.

I hope this could help you.
            The maker label is in the Trousers
            Iam Uncle Sam
            That’s who Iam
            Been hiding out
            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
              Hi Leroy,
              I was reading through old threads. The Bundesmarine used several different widths of tress since 1955. From 1955 thru 1972, basically a continuation of the Kriegsmarine tress -- 9mm (thin) and 16mm (medium) on the sleeves. After 1973, the 16mm tress gets reduced to 14mm and the 9mm tress gets reduced to 7mm.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X