Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapper Buttons

Hello all,

I have in my possession a late war assault gun wrapper that I quite like - however I am unfamiliar with these types of metal buttons. I would be grateful for any comments on this aspect of the uniform. Thank you,

Mike
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Mike C
    Hello all,

I have in my possession a late war assault gun wrapper that I quite like - however I am unfamiliar with these types of metal buttons. I would be grateful for any comments on this aspect of the uniform. Thank you,

Mike
    Mike ,

I've definately seen the two types of metal buttons your pic shows. I think the smaller ones I've seen on military clothing.The larger ones I think I've only seen on civilian and para military/political clothing. Doesn't mean they weren't used for uniforms.WR Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thank you - the wrapper completely checks out in terms of material, manufacturing style and insignia however I was unfamiliar with these types of large buttons. It is also a very late war piece (late 44/45 in my estimation). Appreciate your insight. Best regards,

Mike

Comment

Hello Mikie..if Im seeing the buttons right..although I cant see obviously the dimensions inperson..they are consistent with Zelt buttons I have on a few period SS zelts...and quite concievable they would/could be used on later war clothing..hope that helps a bit. Note..looked at the pic agian..and I see now that the buttons on the wrapper are the main wrapper closure buttons..and thus larger than would be used on the Zelt..they do appear identical to the ones I'm refering to..only a larger variety..I've seen these larger variety also on one SS camo wrapper. Both the larger and smaller I've seen on other items of SSclothing..sometime sthe buttons were even painted..I've examined two pairs (owned one pair previously) where the small variety dished out buttons were painted an ordance tan color on original SS dot pattern kielhosen..I've also seen these in a kind of phosphorous green wash on SS zelts.
        It may sound odd..but I tend to catalog and study buttons...suprisingly if you look at enough pieces..Luft..SS..Heer...the cross use of buttons was pretty routine..obvioulsy with exceptions..however.often time one of the first things I look for is the hardware..buttons being a major point...the repro buttons and I dont mean the steel tunic buttons..but the repro buttons have never in my mind been perfected...I wont go into detail..but its just material and manufacture process of various buttons. Prodger did a good study in one his Luft flight gear books on buttons..very educational as far as Luft buttons.
        Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 06-10-2006, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this. Have numerous pictures of the smaller buttons (often on pants) but not as familiar with the larger ones. My sense again is that they may be found on some late war pieces. Cheers,

Mike

Comment

I think they are all fine, period buttons and there is enough photgraphic evidence to lend support. As well, I have a wrap that has these kind on it...but I am as yet unsure if they are wartime applied entirely...mine are ordnance tan in many cases. I tend to agree with Scott H that just about anything was used by 1944 and 1945.
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott,

Much appreciated,

Mike

Comment

I have a W-SS StuG wrap with SS-BW stamp late war issue, it's also fitted with these zinc buttons (unpainted).
                Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

Thanks. This too is a late war W-SS stug wrapper in Italian beutestoff to include HBT liner. Cheers,

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X