Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this M40 tunic

Hi,

I would like to hear your thoughts on this tunic... The eagle and collartabs are sewn by hand so I figure it's most likely sewn post war...

Is the tunic a good one to you??

Thanks,

Gerd V

Hi Gerd, you where right about the post war sewing Tunic looks M40 to me with a green color attacht, tunic looks good.
    http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

The tunic is a beautiful one to me... All you need now are some EM transport boards!

Hand sewn does not always equate to post war, although this is most likely the case here. Is there any evidence of previously applied insignia?
      Last edited by PaulR; 05-13-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Of course I meant M36 tunic

The only obvious replaced insignia is the Heer eagle... I see a portion of the shadow of a previous eagle... No real signs of previous Heer litze.

Kind regards,
        Gerd V

Originally posted by Paul Reck
        The tunic is a beautiful one to me... All you need now are some EM transport boards!

Hand sewn does not always equate to post war, although this is most likely the case here. Is there any evidence of previously applied of insignia?

Comment

The tunic is authentic but the eagle is suspect? It was common for soldiers to add a dark green collar to these tunics for a smart look. I usually find the dark green collars on tailored EM tunics used for walk out dress. If those tabs are origional to that tunic than it is quite rare. I like to see machine sewn insignia on these post 1940 tunics, at least the tabs. nice tunic in deed!

Steve

Comment

actually - I am of different opinion.. .. - eagle is most likely a repro.. collar tabs are most leikely resewn too... - wool and some stiches look way to fresh.. IMHO messed up tunic...

Stamp is for repair depot in Litzmannstadt
            but not to my collection...
            Last edited by Kuligow; 05-13-2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Good job on this one, lucky

Comment

"Kuligow" is correct; the breast eagle is a reproduction. Since that would appear to be the easiest and probably cheapest original insignia to find for this tunic , it is a bit strange to find it here.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!

How do I have to price this tunic if I would like to sell it on the Estand?

Kind regards,
                  Gerd V

Comment

If I was selling it on the E-Stand I would price it at $700 and lower the price every couple of days until I found the right price for the right buyer. It is an attractive tunic and with a pair of shoulder boards could make part of a nice display for someone who is not picky about reapplied insignia. Even stripped enlisted tunics are collectible, of course. However, I agree that the shoulder boards are most likely reapplied so the tunic is probably not worth more than the sum of its parts.

Comment

Interesting. I just realized that the hand sewing in the shoulder area wasn't a sleeve lining but was actually shoulder padding added much like a period civilian suit coat. Obviously the wearer favored that manly, wide-shoulder and narrow-waist appearance.

I've never seen that before in an enlisted tunic conversion. I don't know if it is period-done or post-war, although it doesn't seem logical for it to be post-war as it is an alteration that doesn't necessarily enhance the collector value (like adding cuff titles, award loops, higher-ranking or SS insignia, etc.).

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul McKee
                        Interesting. I just realized that the hand sewing in the shoulder area wasn't a sleeve lining but was actually shoulder padding added much like a period civilian suit coat. Obviously the wearer favored that manly, wide-shoulder and narrow-waist appearance

Paul
                        The tunic looks as though (as Steve said) to be a walking out tunic. If the eagle is fake it should not be too hard to get a real one to replace it with - it's a nice original tunic IMO. Here is the inner of my M36 inc padded shoulders which I have always thought to be period.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried
                          Here is the inner of my M36 inc padded shoulders which I have always thought to be period.
                          Nice thing about this forum...I often learn something new here. Now I have another item to add to the list of possible enlisted uniform alterations:
                          • Shoulder padding
                          • Shortening the skirt/raising the pockets
                          • Replacing collar with earlier style, or more pointy officer style
                          • Closing the cuffs or adding "French" cuffs
                          • Adding fake M36/40 pocket pleats to M43 tunics
                          • Sewing the lower pocket bellows shut
                          • Adding sewn-in shoulder tabs
                          • Lining the sleeve
                          • Adding interior pockets
                          • Adding a dagger slit
                          Am I missing anything?

Paul

Comment

Why is this a six button feldbluse with a green collar?
                            I thought the standard six button closure didn't occur until 1941 and then it was with FG collar?
                            Admittedly the collar could have been fitted later to a standard 1941 six buttoner, but why is it called a 1940 jacket? Is that from the stampings
                            Were six buttoners made in 1940?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X