Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 German uniform buttons

Hello All,
    I am looking to the experts for answers. My question may seem basic, but my knowledge in this area is nonexsistant. On original WW2 german tunics, should all the button makers marks match? or is it original and acceptable to have mixed maker buttons applied originaly to a tunic? Secondly, What size buttons are used for Tunics?, Greatcoats?, shoulderboards? M-43 caps? I am mainly concerned with the pebbled aluminum type. Thanks for your replies.

Paul G

I know the first part of your question. buttons on tunics and the like usually have different makers thruout the piece. common to this. Glenn

Comment

Thanks Glen, anyone familiar with the sizes??

Paul G

Comment

Tunics, greatcoats, and shoulder boards on issue tunics generally all have the same size buttons, they measure 19mm. I have seen some 21mm buttons advertised as early greatcoat buttons but my 1939 and 1942 coats have standard tunic buttons. On private purchase tunics, the shoulder boards (and rarely, pocket flaps as well) use slightly smaller buttons that measure 16 mm. M43 caps use very small buttons. Not sure of the exact size.

Comment

my M43 Heer tunic and '43 dated matel all have the same size buttons thru out. ofcourse excluding the various internal buttons on the garments. Glenn

Comment

Thanks Guys forn your input. It gets a little confusing as I see some dealers selling 21mm buttons as original for tunics, and others say 21mm buttons are for the greatcoats. On the other hand other dealers are selling the 19mm buttons as original and correct for the Tunic

Paul G

Comment

far as i know, 19mm are normal for all external buttons on tunics. i think that applies to the outside buttons on panzer wraps too. the mini pebbled metal buttons on some m43 caps are 13mm.

Comment

21 mm buttons

I have a number of 21 mm aluminum buttons maker marked "A & S" and dated 37, 38, and 39. One has well worn tan paint.

I also have a 1942 dated Luftwaffe Flight Leutnant's Sahariana tropical tunic (Italian made) and LBHA marked that has 21 mm dark tan painted buttons well marked by "A" (Assmann). They are undated and have the dome shaped backs with "HOCHFEINE QUALITAT" and "21 m/m" markings.

Another LW officer's Sahariana tunic I have has 21 mm aluminum buttons maker marked "P.C.T." and dated 38.

It would appear from this limited example that this size button was made prior to the war and at its beginning.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X