Comments please on Army/SS NCO Breeches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments please on Army/SS NCO Breeches

Here is a pair of breeches I bought recently from Bill Shea. They appear to be totally unissued. I am not very familiar with breeches and would appreciate any comments as to the vintage of these breeches. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

The bottom of each leg closes with a simple flap- there are no buttons or zippers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Most of the buttons are black painted metal. Two are made of some kind of wood or composition material and marked "Solide Elegant".
      Attached Files

Comment

The breeches are partially lined with a bluish-gray material; the pocket bags are of a coarser gray fabric.
        Attached Files

Comment

The blue buckle is also marked SOLIDE.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are photos of the unusual markings in the lining. This is the last photo. Some of the features of these breeches are different from others I have seen or own. I would be very grateful for any input on these. I am planning on putting them on a mannequin and displaying them, I just want to be 100 percent sure there are no problems with these.
            Attached Files

Comment

isnt that M for kriegsmarine or is it Munchen?

Comment

The mark appears to be CM and it could theoretically be a manufacturer marking noting the maker of the breeches or just of the lining fabric. I am certain it is not a depot stamp or acceptance marking. Bill Shea also had recently an unusual greatcoat that was nearly identical in cut to the Heer M42 Mantel but had false, not real, French cuffs, that had the same marking stamped in the lining material. He sold it as a mid-war Heer greatcoat. Mr. Shea told me that the two uniform items came from totally different sources. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has seen this mark.

Comment

Is that a "1944" date stamp? If so, it doesn't seem to "match" the quality of the wool as it appears in the photos. Nor does this appear to be the "cut" of trousers one would expect to see for that year's manufacture. I also haven't seen the lining in a pair of trousers extend over the expansion slit under the rear belt like that. On the other hand, trousers exhibit a wide range of variability especially if they are private purchase. I would also certainly have to admit that Bill Shea's experience is considerably more extensive than my own.

Comment

Just an idea

I could be wrong but I think that this is a Dutch pair of breeches. I have to look at mine to compare but I think they are nearly identical ! As for tunic the Germans widely used these uniforms and they modified it ! Mine example has a rear "German" pocket added but the original Dutch model don't, like this one. A very interesting and not common pants for a German soldier if I am not making a mistake ! I think it will make a nice mannequin !
                    I Hope that some of our Dutch member will help me (and Chris) to be sure...
                    Amicalement Laurent

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I think it is possible that these might be of Dutch origin. The lining and stamps inside are not what I personally would expect to see on a German made private purchase pair, but there are a lot of differences between these and the other issue pairs that I have seen. For instance, there are no buttons to close the pockets, and two of the suspender buttons in the front (one on each side) seem to be later replacements- it seems that originally the breeches were set up to be worn with some type of suspender that only had one tab in the front. I would appreciate any more opinions and wonder if anyone can confirm whether or not they are in fact Dutch made.

Sincerely, Chris

Comment

Dutch Riding Breeches

YES I can confirm that these are 100% pre-war Dutch issue, with the correct Dutch Army Quarter Master Depot issue stamp. Dutch inventories were commonly re-issued to German forces after the Dutch capitulation (to include tunics, side caps and greatcoats of same material, which is close to German in color, therefor easily converted for Wehrmacht re-issuance. The tunic that goes with these pants, (I own 2 WH converted ones) have collar, button and pocket alterations and were widely distributed among Cossack and other "Osttruppen"). This is my first posting by the way! Fun forum!

Comment

cm stamp

Originally posted by NickG
                          YES I can confirm that these are 100% pre-war Dutch issue, with the correct Dutch Army Quarter Master Depot issue stamp. Dutch inventories were commonly re-issued to German forces after the Dutch capitulation (to include tunics, side caps and greatcoats of same material, which is close to German in color, therefor easily converted for Wehrmacht re-issuance. The tunic that goes with these pants, (I own 2 WH converted ones) have collar, button and pocket alterations and were widely distributed among Cossack and other "Osttruppen"). This is my first posting by the way! Fun forum!
                          "CM" stamp means "Centraal Magazijn" which is Dutch for "Main clothing depot", you will find this stamp on most Dutch pre-war government issue garments (but of course not on privately tailor made pieces.) Nick

Comment

Merci !

Thank you very much for your help Nick

Laurent

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X