Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on 2 Heer, Tropical Eagles ???

Hi again,

I would like you opinions on these eagles. All comments welcome.

Thank you. Steve

Steve,
    Both eagles look fine to me and the 2nd of the two is a very nice tunic removed piece exhibiting typical techniques for attachment.
    Mark

Comment

The top eagle is a repro sold by Traders of the Lost Surplus in Palm Desert, California. I bought one perhaps 8 years ago from their catalog so that I'd have it to identify these fakes with. I keep it next to my computer. Their cap eagle is better and is very often used on repro caps today and according to the info from TLS, these insignia are made in Europe. One of the easiest things to note on this top eagle is that there are only four small wing feathers in the arc below the top long feather on each side. Real ones have five small feathers here. Also where the top wing feather arcs downward to form the shoulders, on this fake, this area is cross hatched. It should have the same weave as the top wing feather.
      In the past couple years, I've posted photos of their fake tropical insignia along side real insignia and these may still be accessed through this site.

When were you airborne? That was my MOS. I served in the 3rd SFG and 101st (Viet Nam).

Comment

The top eagle is a repro sold by Traders of the Lost Surplus in Palm Desert, California. I bought one perhaps 8 years ago from their catalog so that I'd have it to identify these fakes with. I keep it next to my computer. Their cap eagle is better and is very often used on repro caps today and according to the info from TLS, these insignia are made in Europe. One of the easiest things to note on this top eagle is that there are only four small wing feathers in the arc below the top long feather on each side. Real ones have five small feathers here. Also where the top wing feather arcs downward to form the shoulders, on this fake, this area is cross hatched. It should have the same weave as the top wing feather.
        In the past couple years, I've posted photos of their fake tropical insignia along side real insignia and these may still be accessed through this site.

When were you airborne? That was my MOS. I served in the 3rd SFG and 101st (Viet Nam).

Comment

I must agree, top one is bad, but the bottom looks great to me. Matt

Comment

Ralph,
            Thank you for your input on the originality of these two eagles. I will have to add the top eagle into my 'fake' file for future reference as I wouldn't have known otherwise.
            Kindest Regards

Mark

Comment

It would have fooled me....scary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X