Panzer skull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer skull?

Hi. I hope this is not a stupid question but is this a Panzer skull or a Totenkopf skull? I thought it was a Panzer skull from a collar tab but I just saw one very similar on a dealers website ( a dealer that advertises on this forum) and it was listed as a Totenkopf SS Skull for $350.00. Also, whichever one it is, does it look original? Thank you, Ron.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ron, it is a Panzer collar tab skull. There are quite a few different makers variations of these (actually we ought to do a thread about these ) They are smaller than the SS cap badge.

It looks original to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thank you, Ade. -Ron

Comment

...and I believe it is a fake. Looks to be die cast...unusual. Poor detail all over and a slightly different shape than many variations. The pitting and soiling look contrived and I am not sure it ever had attachment prongs. The sharply triangular nose is a feature I am not familiar with...so it all adds up that way for me.

I apologize for stating so, as this was not a question you asked.
          CSP

sigpic

Comment

Actually Scott, I did ask opinions on originality, and I do appreciate yours. There are definately remnants of prongs. Other than that I would not know a fake from an original. I obtained this in a boxed lot at an estate sale. I hope more people will post opinions and thanks again. -Ron
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry chaps. but that skull is a cap skull, NOT a panzer tab skull.

It's original. One of the many variants of hussar TK.

These were in zinc and were worn during WW1 and WW2. The 'odd' shape was based on one of the variants from the 1890s.

Here's an 1890s one being worn.........
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's one of mine......
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's a slightly different type of the same variant style. The one at the top of this thread is grossly overvalued. These skulls are worth about $90 each.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's another original.......
                    Attached Files

Comment

Like all TKs, this variant has also been faked. Here is a fake in aluminium.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X