Water Pattern Luft Smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Pattern Luft Smock

Can anyone give me some info about a Luft Camo Smock in water or rain pattern? I usually only see the splinter pattern. Was there such a thing? Is it indicative of late war? Was it only in HBT or canvas too? Thanks!

To my knowledge all Luft ground smocks were only manufactured in Splinter pattern. Luft jump smocks were of course manufactured in Tan/water.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Hi the LWFD smocks were also made in the Marsh pattern. I've seen a couple of them over the years.Pretty rare birds. bill Shea has one for sale here:

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPa...forms/u097.htm

WR Jim

Comment

Right you are Jim. I must have been thinking of helmet covers.....Hard weekend

I think The Collectors Guild has a tan/water ground smock as well.

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Yes, they are considered to be late war and have been encountered in cotton only. Unlike splinter jackets which were made both in HBT and cotton.

The one on Bill's site appears to have never had an eagle. That is something I have seen only a few times, and only on the water pattern examples. Most that I have encountered, including the few I have owned (still have 1 example), have had eagles on them.

The absence of eagles on some of these is interesting. It does not mean they had them and they were removed. It appears that some never had them from the factory.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks for the help. I just bought one from the vet's family and I had read that the snaps at the wrist indicated an early or transitional feature while that camo pattern was late. This one is almost a duplicate to Bill Shea's ( a tad bit more "salt"). One thing of interest, the family stated that they removed the breast eagle when they got it -- looking through a glass, I can find no trace whatsoever that one was there. Perhaps the "eagle-less" examples seen didn't start out that way...

Comment

What about this one: http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Luftw...os/L00951.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner
                That one is also original. And even with the replaced eagle it is not a bad price today.

John, would love to see where the eagle was..both front and back. Snaps are found on the late issue water pattern jackets. Either is acceptable for splinter jackets.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                  Yes, they are considered to be late war and have been encountered in cotton only. Unlike splinter jackets which were made both in HBT and cotton.

The one on Bill's site appears to have never had an eagle. That is something I have seen only a few times, and only on the water pattern examples. Most that I have encountered, including the few I have owned (still have 1 example), have had eagles on them.

The absence of eagles on some of these is interesting. It does not mean they had them and they were removed. It appears that some never had them from the factory.
                  G'day all,
                  I have a splinter one myself that appears to have never had an eagle applied.I had shown pics of it to Mike Beaver and he had said it was okay,so I guess some of the splinter also never had them factory applied?
                  Cheers,Paul.

Comment

Thank all the hunters for the volume of CAMO brought home...Billbert

Comment

Pictures of where the eagle was...
                      Attached Files

Comment

closer.........
                        Attached Files

Comment

Inside....even held up to a light, I see no evidence of stitch holes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

I have also encountered smocks that had eagles removed from them by hunters. In several cases there was no trace of the eagle having been there. This is unusual, but not impossible, depending on how well the eagle was originally sewn on, how long it was worn with the eagle, etc..

Still, from your photo I think I can see traces of it's application.

T/W field division jackets are scarce, good piece!
                            Regards,
                            John
                            Attached Files
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Wow! Good eye... there is a tiny snag there. Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X